>Dear Meagan,

I wish you well in your talks with the staff.  You have made valid points.
 The library should serve the students and enhance the curriculum.  I am a
first year librarian and am working on my MLS degree. Like you, I work in
a small school district with limited funds.   Before I took the position,
our library had been served by para-professionals for over a decade.  This
year alone, I have weeded over 650 books.  I am still not done.  (I call
Wednesdays "Weeding Wednesdays.")  Sometimes I feel a pang when I discard
a book, and sometimes I've noticed questionable comments from some of the
faculty.  However, the many weeding guidelines (MUSTY), etc. give me
confidence that I am doing the right thing.  A collection must contain
current information or it will not serve students or teachers.

I hope that your school trusts you to use your professional skills to
determine what is best for your library.  I bet that you will get many
may always rely on ALA documents for help also.

My advice would be to try to maintain positive relationships with your
co-workers.  They probably have good intentions, but do not understand the
importance of your decisions.  Your professionalism will help educate
them.

Good Luck!

Cora Huggins (Librarian)
Centerville Jr/Sr. High