I had a several answers to my question about changing to jobs because my
doctor feels I am too stressed.  However, I have been too stressed to post
them until now.  Here is the collected wisdom of this august group:
Suggestions included:
book reviewer,
book store clerk,
book rep
cataloguing?
archival work library of an insurance company--~ law office and medical
libraries newspapers,
A private school?  Or a preschool?

A lot of jobs in information technology require the same job skills as
librarian. (I switched to private school six years ago
and have never looked back.  The pay isn't as good and
the benefits are practically non-existent, but the stress level is almost
non-existent.)
~
~
Jean Gustafson summed up most of the advice I received:

Things to ask
What about it is stressful?
Do I need to learn to say "NO" more often?
Do I create my own stress?
Would re-assigning tasks and duties help?
Could you go to part-time and still make it work?  Job sharing might be
an option - could produce new stresses though.
Also advised to:
Working in a public library is far less stressful than a school library
IMHO having done both.

You can get more education.  I'm studying for my
fourth career now as I get ready to retire from this one.  Find
something you love. Maybe you just need a change.
I have done some research but have not made any decisions as of yet.
Thank you to all for your suggestions and concerns.

Dawn Westover
Teacher Librarian
Totem Middle School
Marysville, WA
Dawn_Westover@msvl.k12.wa.us
Our mission is "to ensure students and staff are effective users of ideas
and information."