From: School Library Media & Network Communications on behalf of Jennifer Davidson
Sent: Fri 2/29/2008 12:13 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] TARGET and VENT: Weeding issues and "sentimental value"

My predecessor had never weeded anything as far as I could tell.  She
was very well-liked and I was concerned that I would be stepping in it
if I didn't talk with my principal and staff about what I was going to
do and why.  I found that going over the MUSTY information and talking
about how hard it is for kids to find the good books when there are so
many extras helped a lot with the faculty, some of whom would have been
quite resistant otherwise.  We have done such a good job convincing
teachers of the importance of books that it does take some deprogramming
and explanation, IMO.  It's hard for them to understand that not all
books are valuable.  I had a hard time weeding books that I enjoyed when
I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, but that weren't attractive to kids
today.

To the extent possible, we allow the faculty to go through the discarded
books first, then allow the students to each choose one or two,
depending on how many are left.  The books that aren't suitable to keep
in the building (seriously outdated nonfic, for example) are boxed up
and put in storage.  This makes a difference in acceptance as well since
the teachers feel the books are going to a 'good home.'

I also found some very outdated books to use as examples, including an
old bio of Stephen Foster with the word "d*rkies" in it (not as part of
song lyrics, which would have been bad enough, but in the text!).  My
principal shared these with the supe and he about came unglued when she
showed him the Stephen Foster book!  For once, fear of being sued worked
out in a favorable way for librarians!  He shared these books with the
board of ed. as well.

Jenni Davidson

Jenni Davidson
jdavidson@solomon393.k12.ks.us <mailto:jdavidson@solomon393.k12.ks.us>