Hi, David.
If you take a look at the Dewey schedules you will see (at least in the
unabridged ed.) that they use codes to subdivide the items by title and them
by text and criticism (plus a lot of other categories such as Shakespeare
biography, collections, general criticism, etc.). I don't have the manual
here in front of me but it uses a coded system like U6 for Macbeth texts and
U7 for criticism. I add a cutter (first 3 letters of last name) for the
editor of the the text because there are so many variations. For the
criticism I use the first three letters of the author's name (I don't use
traditional Cutter numbers at all in my library). This helps immensely when
trying to keep books in order on the shelf although shelvers still find ways
to mess things up occasionally!
Hope this helps.
Tom Kaun.

On Jan 4, 2008 7:56 AM, DiGregorio, David <ddigregorio@tenafly.k12.nj.us>
wrote:

> Could we ask for some advice regarding this section?  Finding things in
> 822.33 is a nightmare because there is too much to go through.  We would
> like to know the best way to break this up - how would you catalogue /
> Dewey number Shakespeare's works themselves as opposed to criticism
> about his works?  Would it be okay to distinguish between the two by
> making a modification in the Dewey number?  We would be most interested
> in any ways you may know of that would make this section more accessible
> for our students.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information on this topic.
>
> David
>

> David Di Gregorio
>
> ddigregorio@tenafly.k12.nj.us <mailto:ddigregorio@tenafly.k12.nj.us>
> Supervisor Library Media Services
>
> Tenafly High School
>
> www.librarymedia.net <http://www.librarymedia.net/>
>
> 19 Columbus Drive
>
> Tenafly, NJ 07670
>
> CELL: 201-696-8062
>
> 201.816.6617

>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html