Thank you for all your terrific responses! I am excited to begin this
lesson. Many of you have done similar lessons in the past and shared
your experiences. If you would like me to forward you some of the
lesson ideas that were shared with me, please reply separately to
this post. I have inlcuded the responses below as well as my original
post:

Hi, I'm Cindy Wagner from Hawaii and this is my first post :)

I'm doing a lesson on using your senses for K-8. I already have a
good story and other materials but am looking for ideas for a fun
activity. I was thinking of making several small boxes with an
opening large enough for you to put your hand in and feel stuff. But
what kinds of "stuff" ? I was hoping to incorporate the senses
"touch" and "smell" into this activity.

Thanks is advance for your help!

How about jelly worms? Emory board? different scraps of material?

Sandpaper, carpet, things with shapes, nail, screw, fern

cloth, cardboard, wood, sponge & foam rubber, a piece of yarn, a
large marble, a washer, a small styrofoam ball.

twigs, pebbles, pinecones

Smell: you can get small bottles of fragrences at drug stores, a piece
of onion or garlic.

Smell: use various spices that have strong aromas or various fruits
or vegetables, such as apples, oranges, lemons, onions, garlic cloves.

Mahalo,

Cindy Wagner, K-12 Librarian

ASSETS School, Honolulu, HI