Sometimes automation systems allow you to go a different route, Sandra.
Follett, for example, allows for categories, which are not tied to the MARC
record. Another approach is to use the 690s instead of the 650s, These are
"local" subject headings which are unique to your system. A subject heading
such as "Multicultural materials" might work in 690.
I wouldn't use the 658 field, which sounds good but is a very specialized
field for defined curricular headings.
Tom Kaun

On Jan 5, 2008 9:18 AM, sandra carswell <sandracarswell@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Our district administration has requested the numbers of books we have in
> our collections that would be considered multicultural. Last year we all
> used our own definition of multicultural so our numbers were low. This year,
> they have requested we use a broad definition. Now I have a bibliography
> with over 1000 books. I would like to add a subject heading to these records
> so I can set up a visual search button to find these books, and any new ones
> we add to the collection.
> The Sears term is "multiculturalism" but putting that in a 650a tag seems
> to me to be saying this book is "about" multiculturalism.
> What Marc tag would you use and what exact term? Sandra Carswell,
> Librarian S.C. Lee Junior High School 1205 Courtney Lane Copperas Cove, TX
>  76522 254-542-7877 sandracarswell@hotmail.com sandraca@ccisd.com

> Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live.
> http://www.windowslive.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_powerofwindows_012008
>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html