Dear Sharon,

I'd take a look at your local public library's website & see if you can
download audiobooks for FREE using your public library card number! Many
public libraries now have subscriptions to either Overdrive or NetLibrary,
and patrons may "check out" tons of audiobooks, which then expire from the
MP3 player - no cost or overdue fees. One consideration for new audiobook
listeners who want to download titles is the issue of Digital Rights
Management - as downloads from public libraries are usually done using
Windows-based MP3 players, not iPods. You might also want to try
downloadable free podcasts. My husband loves NPR's podcasts -
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php Don't let the name
worry you - a podcast can be downloaded to any MP3 player, not just iPods.

Those who have iPods usually purchase downloaded audiobooks through iTunes,
which uses Audible as the iTunes audiobook vendor. iTunes also has a great
directory of free podcasts.

Mary Burkey

Chair, 2008 Odyssey Award for Excellence in Audiobook Production

http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/odysseyaward/Ody
sseyaward.htm

mburkey@columbus.rr.com

http://audiobooker.blogspot.com/