For those of you who are still using Athena, could you help with this
strange situation?

We have suddenly discovered that when we scan our books for
circulation (or to check the Item Status), that many titles are
showing up as "Item is Not in the Collection."  Many of these books
are NOT new and have been in the system for several years.  Initially
I thought we may have lost some records, but I have checked the system
holdings and the number of records are the same as they were in
previous months (with the exception of a few additional titles added
which do show up in the system).  So....

I then began to wonder if there was a problem with the barcodes.  We
scanned some barcodes and determined that the leading zeros are
causing problems with SOME of the books; however, not all of the books
are having a barcode issue.  Now, I have two stacks of books to figure
out--- problem barcodes and "other."

I've checked the MARC records AND the copy information on the "other"
books and found that some "missing items" in both of these areas have
also caused problems in the system---the book isn't being recognized
when it is scanned; however, when I correct an ISBN, a copy's call
number, the location information, or add the format information in
copy area, I find that the book is suddenly recognized by the system.
(God's in His heaven and all's right with the world!! ----from Pippa
Passes)

Does anyone know what might have caused this?  I realized (very early
in the year) that there were some cataloging problems in our system,
but I did not want to do anything with the system or start work on
this project until the summer; however, Athena has suddenly taken on a
life-form and decided that the records need to be cleaned NOW and has
kicked out several THOUSAND titles from our collection (when scanned).

Is there a "quick fix"  ....or should I just go ahead and do
inventory, clean records, and move forward?  (We have a small
collection of about 10,000 titles...)

Thanks for any insights to this problem....as I move forward with the
positive motto:  "Things are GREAT in 2008!!"  (Now, just ignore the
margarita that's next to my computer at the circulation desk!!)
*grin*

--
Shonda Brisco, MLIS
District Librarian

Currently reading:  "Mystik Lake" by Martha Brooks

Digital Bookends wiki / blog:
http://digitalbookends.pbwiki.com
http://shonda.edublogs.org/
sbrisco@gmail.com