Hello librarians, and our favorite Latin lurker, et al.,
perhaps a little explanation is helpful.
First, our routine disclaimer: We <neither Joyce or I> are advocating leaving
LM_NET. Peter has done a fabulous job of building and running a great distribution
list. It simply cannot be beat for the vast wealth of experience and knowledge that
exists here. I'm not real sure what the membership is now, but probably somewhere
near 20,000, I would guess. . . 16,000 in 2004. . . over a million emails all
across the country and to 65 countries worldwide each day <50 emails a day>. So,
wherever you might go from here, don't lose touch with LM_NET.
* * *
After sending out my request to come join us at Lib101, it comes to my attention
that there was another ning network already in existence, namely

http://teacherlibrarian.ning.com/

It has been in existence for about a year under the excellent design and management
of Joyce Valenza from Springfield High School in PA.
They have just over a thousand members, excellent links to many excellent
librarianship resources, and some very cool <and humorous> videos that might
inspire others to create and share similar ones from their own schools.
For those of you expecting a little more personal, and informal, interaction with
other librarians, and the ability to create specialty discussion groups for
whatever librarianship purpose, go visit and do some poking around.
* * *
Our humble 100+ member group is designed specifically for new, young, and student
librarians just spreading their wings around librarianship, technology, and the
Internet in general. Veterans librarians are also present who don't mind answering
or fielding the same sorts of rookie questions that come around every year from
librarians just earning their wings. It is a quiet (very little daily traffic - we
might go a week without any activity at all), frivolous and fun-loving (I don't
allow any seriousness to take place - seriously, I don't!), and understanding (I
often take both sides of the same argument - in fact, I'm often the only one
arguing a topic! I think the new digs will help eliminate that situation...) place
for young'ins to come to get their feet wet if they feel intimidated by the large
numbers on places as described above.

We have representation from HW Wilson and other places in the publishing world to
assist young librarians in understanding the big picture of literature and
publication.

http://librarianship101.ning.com/

So, if the explorer in you comes knocking, and you don't feel like straying very
far from home here on LM_NET, you now have two other librarianship related avenues
to sooth the raging Internet explorer in you. . .

Until that time. . .  Earl J.
Librarian of Fortune
USA Special Operations Command History Office
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
"Just an old Maui boy with a poor sense of direction,
working his way home one state at a time;
currently working in the State of Confusion;
<not far from the Comatose State>.