Transitions

On Dec 9 2007 I posted the following question:
I'm about to start my field experience in an elementary school and would
like to compile a list of ideas/activites/games to help students in the
transition times - when they arrive at the library and when they've already
checked out their book and are waiting to leave to go to their next
activity.

Especially since I won't know their names, it would be very helpful to have
a brief activity that would be related to literacy, info literacy, problem
solving, phonemic awareness, critical thinking, etc that could be done at
these problematic times so as to keep their attention and ward off
behavioral issues.

Here are the answers - hope that they are useful for you...

Use poetry.  Teach them poems and songs.  It is a wonderful tool and really
helps them become better readers.  I use this with all ages.  Long poems and
short ones too.  Sometimes I make them up to fit the situation.  Here is a
storytime handbook I found once and I learned a lot from it.  I adapted many
things. - Lisa Hunt

I use word drops, fill-in-the-blanks, crosswords, word searches and
other games to fill in time.  Sometimes I will print seasonal or
curriculum related games off of sites like ABCteach other times I will
use puzzlemaker to make my own (everything always has some sort of tie
into what is currently going on in school).  The kids are kept quiet and
entertained by the games and depending on what you choose to use they
are challenged with problem solving skills and deductuive reasoning. -
Bridget Sitler

Create a "Search" challenge using almanacs and other resources. - Dennis
Holingsead

I did not have much luck with a transition activity coming into class.  But
I have trained the kids and we start quickly with announcements and book
check out.  Now that they are trained and I go right into it, it goes pretty
well.

I have our kids quietly reading after they've checked out their books.  It
is also when they get to look at Waldo books, yearbooks, or other books that
don't circulate. - Mandi Vissers

We use various brain gym activities to help transition the kids.  A little
physical activity seems to help them pull in their attention and get ready
to listen. - Linda Lucke

I usually play 20 questions when we're waiting in line after we're done
checkingout books and simply talk with the kids who arrive early as it's a
good chance for me to get to know them. -  L. Young

I would suggest that you make name tents for each class.  Take a 5 x 8 or 4
x 6 index card.  Fold the card in a "hot dog"  style.  Write their name on
both sides (that way you have their name no matter where you stand.  If you
have a fixed schedule, then you can rubber band them and put them in dollar
store baskets for each day of the week. - theresa

--
Suzanne Neuman
303-543-8550

If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain. - steven wright