Hello all~

Looks like this is a definite NEED!  These were the answers, yet most of you all
just wrote me requesting to post a hit so here we go:

*********************************

I have some links to Library and Information Skills on our school web  page.
http://icc.k12.ar.us
<https://webmail.mcsmail.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://icc.k12.ar.us>     go
to Elementary then Library Media Center.

Hope this helps.
*********************************

 I recommend the book below for fun lessons for reference skills (includes Bingo!).
Magical Library Lessons by Lynne Farrell Stover, published by Upstart, grade. 4-8

************************

Last year someone on LM_NET shared information about a DVD of library skills
designed to use with a computer/SmartBoard /active whiteboard with large
groups of students. I ordered one last year only to discover that the Apple
version was not yet available. I've lost the information on this product.
Does anyone know the website? I'm hoping the Apple version might now be
available.

***********************

I do a fun activity with my 3rd & 4th grade students.  We play "The Dewey Tic Tac
Toe" game.  I use this with the students to reinforce being able to recognize the
difference between Fiction and NF call numbers.

In advance I create the following:

call number cards (written on 3 x 5 index cards)
Tie breaker questions (Who created the DDCS?, What is a table of contents?, What is
an index?, etc.)
Print out of large "O's" and an "X's" (5 of each that are then attached to
construction paper or card stock)
A tic tac toe grid on the floor that is large enough for students to stand in the
squares holding their assigned letter(I use masking tape to create the grid)

Start by dividing the students into two teams.  Show the first call number card to
the first team and have them tell you what type of call number it is (FIC or NF).
If they are correct they may place themselves on the tic tac toe game grid.  If
they are incorrect, the other team(first person in line) is allowed to guess the
answer and if they are correct they get to stand on the grid.  This goes on until a
team gets TIC TAC TOE.  If there should be a tie, a question is asked from the tie
breaker cards and the first team to raise their hand and get the correct answer
wins the game.  I usually keep track of each team's winnings and hand out a prize
for the most wins at the end of their class time.

I do have a few rules that my students must follow:
No talking while in line
No helping out your team mates by giving them the answer
No telling a player where to go on the game board(if they point, all of their
players are wiped off the board)
AND last but not least - Have FUN!!!

My students love playing this game and they always ask me when we are going to play
it again.  I hope this gives you an idea to use with your students.

Kelly L. Ayers
K-5 Librarian/AR
Central Elementary School
1315 Knoxville Hwy