I have to respectfully disagree.  I, like yourself, read on a post-graduate level.
If I were required to always read post-graduate level material, I would not be a
reader today.  Lifelong readers are made by encouraging the love of reading, not
the skill of reading.  However, the nice benefit of the love of reading is that the
more you read, the better you get at it.  If you never develop the love of reading,
you will "cap-out" at the skill of reading where your love of reading stopped.

Instead of bemoaning what they are reading, celebrate that your students have made
the choice to read.  At lot of students and adults have not made that choice.
Celebrate, as well, that they have a librarian concerned enough about them to want
to see them grow.  So, as a librarian, one of the things I can do is targeted book
talks with more challenging reads.  If I sell a book that is written on a higher
level, then even the struggling reader wants it.

Mariya Rodriguez, librarian
Theodore Roosevelt High School
5110 Walzem Road
San Antonio, TX  78218
mrodri15@neisd.net

>>> "Virginia Hollon" <jvhollon@GREENHILLS.NET> 1/15/2008 8:25 PM >>>
How do you convince classroom teachers to require Reading Counts test books
on the students' reading level?  I have a couple of teachers who accept any
books, even two-three grades below the students' reading level, for book
tests.  Anyone had success getting the message across.  I'm certainly in
favor of students reading easier books for fun and at the beginning of the
year, but at this point, half way through the school year, shouldn't
students be reading on/close to their reading level?  Thanks in advance.

Virginia Hollon, LMS

northern Missouri

* EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm ( http://lm/ )-net.info/