Rachelle Wynkoop wrote:
> I guess I have looked at this issued differently than what has bee
> discussed.  We have databases that the county library purchases for county
> residents.  Our schools reside in the county.  The taxpayers pay a milleage
> for the library services.  Our IP address from the school is recognized by
> the county library and my students do not need to use their library cards
> for access.  They do need the library card for access from home, and I
> encourage the parents and the students to do this as I introduce the
> databases.  I see this as no different than letting the local library know
> that the 3rd grade is doing their animals projects so they set aside the
> resources for the students school assignment.  The same goes for our state
> databases.  The state requires the user to be a state resident.  Our school
> resides in the state.  Again, our IP address is recognized when my students
> access the database from my library.  From home, they would need state Id.
> Am I oversimplifying the issue?

I think the main point of confusion here is that what applies in one
location may not apply in another. As Rachelle points out above, if the
city, county, or state provides a resource for residents of that city,
county, or state, then it most likely won't make any difference whether
the database is accessed from home or school IF the place where the site
is being accessed is physically within the boundaries of the service
area. In other words, if Dallas County provides access to a database, I
could access it from home because I live in Dallas County. I could not
access it from school, because school in in Hickory County. If the State
of Missouri provides a database to be available to all Missouri
residents, I could access it from either home or school, because both
are in Missouri.

Add to the confusion the fact that a public library may offer access
ONLY to those with valid library cards from that library. In that case,
it would be unethical for me to let a student use my library card to
access the database. I might be willing to let a student use my card IF
I knew that the student had his/her own card and just forgot and I was
quite sure that the student in question hadn't had the card taken away.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
MS/HS Librarian