Often on this list I've heard of schools blocking access to wikis &
blogs on a wholesale level. I talk at small conferences about using
these kinds of technologies with students, and I'm never sure what I
can expect the teachers to have access to. So this issue has been
bothering (and confusing!) me for a while.

How exactly are the sites blocked? Are they only blocking sites with
the words wiki & blog in the urls? (blogspot, pbwiki, etc.). Are you
able to access sites using wiki or blog software that have different
urls?

And have any librarians been successful in getting support for
running your own software internally? It should be a very simple
matter for a sysadmin to set up Mediawiki or Wordpress on a server,
will they provide it for you? How can they cut you off from a
complete class of software, if they are run internally and there is
no cause for concern over protecting students from the internet
population at large?

I'd love to hear your tales if you've got time to share them. I'll
provide a hit if interested.

Pamela Burke
Librarian, Marlboro School
Marlboro, VT 05344