From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Donna Williams
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:09 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Just curious target for ESL speakers

I'm responding to the whole group because Betsy's school's system
blocked my reply.

  English is my primary language, but I taught ESL to people of all ages
and social/educational backgrounds in my past life.

  Immersion gets quicker results in the new language, but in some
circumstances dual-language is necessary for communication.

  Donna Williams
  May '07 SLIS graduate
  University of North Texas
  DWilliams6856@att.net

Betsy Ruffin <Betsy.Ruffin@CLEBURNE.K12.TX.US> wrote:
  For anyone on this list who learned English as a second language,
just-out-of-curiosity question(s) for you:

Did you learn by emersion or by dual language class? As a result of your
experience, do you feel ESL students learn English faster, better,
whatever by emersion or by dual language?

Betsy Ruffin
librarian-technologist
Cleburne ISD
Cleburne, TX
betsy.ruffin@cleburne.k12.tx.us

Stephen Abram, vice-president of Micromedia Ltd., Canada's largest
electronic publisher. "But although technology is vastly changing their
roles, librarians are still seen as "trusted agents" and their role as
navigators of the Internet will be critical to everyday life and the
future economy."

It is the policy of Cleburne ISD not to discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, gender or handicap in its school programs,
services, or activities.

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.