Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Here is the list of titles I received.
Hard to choose...

Adult Black History Reading suggestions:

Copper Sun by Sharon Draper

BIOGRAPHY (A&E) all programs air 4am-5am, commercial free, copyright= 2 years
February 12 Bob Marley
February 13 Dionne Warwick
February 14 Will Smith
February 15 Whoopi Goldberg
February 16 Russell Simmons
February 26 The Harlem Globetrotters

Intimate Portrait (LIFETIME) 4-5am, copyright= 1 Year
February 6  Laila Ali
February 13  Gladys Knight

February 5 Paul Robeson: Speak of Me As I Am (OVATION) 4-5am Copyright= FREE

VHI Storytellers (VH-1)  4-5am, Copyright= ONE YEAR
February 5  Jay Z- Life of An American Gangster

For more Black History Month resources, search keywords BLACK HISTORY at

www.ciconline.org/search-litings

Mildred D. Taylor's books in the Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry series

Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy

Leon's Story by Leon Watler Tillage is a children's book but it was a real eye
opener to me.

Hacker Cracker by Ejovi
Nuwere.  He lives in New York City.  When my students
read his biography last year for black history month
we e-mailed him and had a video conference with him.
My students loved it!  He's an amazing African
American entrepreneur.  There is also a great PBS
interview.  He used to have links to it on his website
but I don't know if he has them anymore.
He grew up in the chaotic neighborhood called Bed Sty
in the Bronx.  He went from poverty to kickboxing
champion to computer guru.  He goes to Japan and other
countries all the time.  I hope you can read his book
and check out his website.
http://ejovi.net/

The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother_by James McBride.

How about the Obama bio or the Clarence Thomas bio?  They are current!

I highly recommend Frederick Douglas's work and any biographies, as well as Phyllis
Wheatley.  Or Voices in the Mirror by Gordon Parks, an autobiography. Or Soul of a
Butterfly by Muhammad Ali, also autobiographical.

Although its focus is on the press, this book deals with many well known and not so
well known individuals of the Civil Rights movement.

The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation
by Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff.

The Color of Water
Black, White and Jewish (I think that's the title)
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Roots
The Color Purple
Anything by Toni Morrison