Dear LM Netters,
Thanks to all for responding to my request for your insights into podcasting
equipment. I know this is belated but some did ask for a hit so I am including the
I still haven't heard if the bid was accepted.  I'm hoping to hear this next week
and then will be contacting those who generously offered to give personal
suggestions.

Once again, thanks to this wonderful sharing group.

Carrie Day
LMS
Knik Elementary
Wasilla, AK  99645
akdays@mtaonline.net

Original Post
Subject: GEN: podcasting equipment

Greetings Fellow LM Netters,
            I have an opportunity to offer a podcasting class for
talented and gifted students.  There are funds for equipment and I look
at this as my chance to experiment with a small group before I try a
full class project.  I have done some research about equipment but need
some insight from experienced people.  If money weren't an issue, what
would you order?  How many microphones is workable for a small group?
Do you recommend the headphones with the attached microphones?  If I
venture into videos, do you have a recommendation for a camera?
         Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise!!! If anyone
else is interested, I'll post a hit.
Podcasting Equipment responses

Took a class on this at the Arizona Librarians Association meeting a month or two
ago.  You need several iPods with recorders for in class recording.  If you are
setting up a studio, you need to have at least two mic on table stands, a mixer to
balance the mics.  You need to put blankets or sheets up on the walls to deaden the
sound.  That's pretty much it.  If you are doing video, get a camera that downloads
using a USB cord instead of a firewire.  If that is not possible, you will need an
updated computer laptop that has a slot for the firewire to download from the
camera.  We have a Sony small hand held that does a pretty decent job...Get
Pinnacle software for making and mixing your podcasts and you are set.  I like it
better than Audacity (PC) and Garage Band (MAC).  Good luck...we just wrote a grant
for setting up a studio in the library.

darlene price, cybrarian
Sounds exciting! The first thing I would recommend is using Mac computers if at all
possible. While you can certainly do this using Windows, it is a lot more powerful
on a Mac.

Our portable podcasting lab has
Macbook laptops ($1200)
iPod Nanos ($150)
Belkin TuneTalk iPod microphones ($70)
Blue Snowball microphone ($90)

A bit on each of these. iPods are a nice addition because with the TuneTalk
microphones they can do double duty as players and very portable recorders. You
could also just buy some high quality digital voice recorders, but the iPods go
over better with students. These are great for doing mobile recording; we went
through a 19th century historic village to record interpretors, for example. The
microphones are very nice, and allow recording for two people without moving stuff
back and forth. Headsets are probably a better choice for individual recording, and
you might want to get a few. I would recommend Logitech USB Gaming headsets ($50)
as high quality with a nice noise canceling microphone. The TuneTalks are more
versatile though.

The Blue Snowball microphone is a VERY high quality USB microphone. Shure makes one
as well, that is a studio type microphone that goes into a USB plug. These will
give you a MUCH better sound quality and will really bring out that rich radio
voice. I love how the snowball makes me sound!

For a camera, the question is if you want to do video podcasting, or just picture
enhanced podcasting. Mac's GarageBand makes enhanced podcasting with still photos a
breeze. That is a great way to get started with a transition as it means smaller
file sizes and no need to do all the shot setup of video. Once you move into video,
things get more complicated. Now you are talking about lighting, backgrounds, and
people as well as sound quality. For video, the biggest thing is to make sure the
camera has an external microphone jack. You have to use an external microphone to
get any kind of decent sound.

Unless you have done video before, I would start with podcasting or enhanced
podcasting with still photos. There is a beauty and an art in voice that can be
lost with video.

Number of microphones for a small group? Depends on setup. Working in pairs cuts
the number in half. Having scripting and other tasks can reduce it more. But if you
are going all out, more microphones help. Maybe have a few kinds - portable,
headset, and even a nice one.
If money weren't an issue... I am not sure.  But since money is ALWAYS an issue,
here's what I used for a simple podcast experiment: Audacity software and an
cheapie microphone from a local electronics store.
Go to toolfactory.com
I just purchased a "podcast" set as well as a camera set. They are
fabulous! The book that comes with it is incredible.  I check out the
voice recorders to kids to take home and record stuff - it's very
easy to take to classes and let them do their recording there. The
carrying case is lockable and absolutely unbreakable!

Prices are reasonable and they work with you.  Purchasing a 'set'
also gives you license to the podcast application - which is  a
student-friendly version of garage band [I use both and for class
stuff, this toolfactory is an easy learning curve].

I have 11 voice recorders - which gives us usually groups of 3.
I could only afford 7 cameras but I have other sources of digital
cameras.  These are digital photo cameras but they record up to 3
minutes of video.  I just bought some video cameras but you'd have
to  let me know if you want to know the kind -
One microphone for four students is a good bet. I have not used the
headphones. Microphones are very inexpensive. Podcasting is super easy
and the kids will love it. No recommendation on a camera-haven't bought
one.
Hi - I've written a few books on podcasting projects and would be happy
to help.  Feel free to give me a call at 248.203.3192 and I can help
with your questions!

Kristin

--
Kristin Fontichiaro
P.O. Box 2281, Birmingham, MI 48012 USA ~ font@umich.edu
Author: Active Learning Through Drama, Podcasting, and Puppetry (Libraries
Unlimited, 2007)
Author: Podcasting at School (Libraries Unlimited, forthcoming)
Library 2.0 blogger: School Library Media Activities Monthly