Marcia,
My response will probably be unique, but take it for what it is worth.
I do not agree with having music in the library.  I am one of those
people - and there are others of us - who cannot stand to go into a
store or building and hear music playing in the background.  I am
distracted by music and do not care to be bombarded with noise while I
am trying to go about my activities in the public arena.  If I were a
parent of a child at your school I would be a vocal opponent to music in
the library. When I walk into a building or office where music is
playing, I often make a point of telling the manager that I do not
appreciate noise pollution.  What is wrong with a library being a
library? What is wrong with having an area that is quiet for students to
study and read?  Students walk around almost 24/7 with noise blaring in
their ears.  I can't help but think this is part of the problem we face
with students not being able to focus and concentrate.  We encourage
parents to make a quiet place at home for our students to be able to
study - why then would we not model that kind of space in the library,
of all places?

Sharon Slaney, Librarian
Timberlake H.S. Library
5973 W. Hwy 54