The Bank Street College of Education administers the Irma Simonton and
James H. Black Award excellence in children's literature. It is given to
a picture book for the text and the pictures. The final deciders are
children from our first and second grade and ten cooperating schools
around the country. The following list of books was chosen by a
committee of adults- librarians, teachers, graduate faculty- These books
are placed in our 3rd and 4th grade classrooms where the children will
read and evaluate the titles and vote for their favorites. The final
four titles will go into the first and second grade. Over 2,500 children
participate. Last year's winner was Once I Ate a Pie.  Here are the
titles if you want to play along. We will have the four finalists in
about three weeks. For more information you can go to our website.

http://streetcat.bankstreet.edu/children/awards.html

Rabbit’s Gift (Shannon)
Spiders (Bishop)

Today and Today (Karas)

The Wicked Big Toddlah (Hawkes)

Fiona’s Luck (Bateman)

Knuffle Bunny Too (Willems)

The Luck of the Loch Ness Monster (Flaherty)

Oh, Theodore! (Katz)

Good Sports (Prelutsky)

Martina the Beautiful Cockroach (Deedy)

Some Dog (Casanova)

Wolf! Wolf! (Rocco)

Casey Back at Bat (Gutman)

The Chicken-chasing Queen of Lamar County (Harrington)

Fred Stays With Me (Coffelt)

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal (Fleischman)

Lisa Von Drasek
Children's Librarian