Thank you so much for those who responded with some great ideas.    I
used the idea of "taking" something from a student with my sixth
graders and it really got their attention!

Here's what I received:

Here is a link to the elementary page of copyright resources and
lessons that my district librarians - http://www.wcboe.k12.md.us/
departments/librarymedia/Copyright06/Copyrightmain.htm
The Secondary put together a page on Ethical Use - http://
www.wcboe.k12.md.us/departments/librarymedia/SecondaryEthicalUse/
EthicalMain.htm

One we did that had a great effect on the kids(It may also be on one
of the pages) was to take a piece actually written or drawn by a
student or students in the class. Copy the item if it is writing or
mount the picture and share it as your own. It doesn't take long for
the actual author or artist to say something. From there you can
discuss how they felt and then why it was wrong.
Another that worked(it may also be on one of the pages) was really
about copyright. Give the students jobs - musician, producer, store,
customers (label Some customer as someone who doesn't follow
copyright warnings). Give the customers some play money which in turn
few give to the store to buy legit copies of the CD or DVD. The store
then gives money to the producer and he in turn to the musician. This
shows the students how the economy works. Now have the students who
do not follow copyright be paid by some of the customers. The money
stops there. The store, producer and musician get nothing. This shows
them something they understand, especially if they are portraying the
musician, producer or store. I try to pick a student for the musician
or producer who really think they are something and could never be
taken advantage of. They often yell the loudest about it not being
fair and this helps to make the point.
Hope these help.

Hi there -
This lesson is for high school students, but the links (in step three)
may be of use.

http://www.seattleschools.org/schools/chiefsealth/library/plag/

Thanks,

Katie Hubert
Librarian
Chief Sealth High School
2600 SW Thistle St.
Seattle, WA 98126
206.252.8617
kahubert@seattleschools.org

Hi

I always start by walking around the class saying nothing and taking
a pencil case beloning to a student.  Then I turn to the teacher and
say look at my pencil case - Isn't it nice?   I just got it......

By then there are looks of horror on most kids faces.  I then ask
what I have done and why was it wrong.    We then talk about stealing
ideas and copying from others work.  Seems to get the point across
( I give back the pencil case with thanks)

Then we look at writing bibliographies etc and have an excercise
where students are in groups of 4 and get 5 different items(a book, a
journal, a DVD, a website (printed out 1st page), an encyclopedia)

They also get a set of cards where the citation has been broken up
into parts ie  author /  date/ title/ publisher etc on separate cards

The students have to first match the infromation to the resource
then put the cards in order then write the citation out.

A bit of work to set up but you can use it over and over again.
Advantage is that you use real resources.    Each group has a
different set.

Hope that makes sense  We use this with Grade 7/8

Isobel

Ogilvie High School
Tasmania

Janet:

This is in response to your 01/21/08 LM_NET post on plagiarism. I am
currently covering copyright and plagiarism with grades 6-8 as a
precursor to MLA for a research paper the students have to do in
Language Arts.

I've attached copies of lessons I used with the sixth grade on this
topic. I try to make it an interactive discussion with the kids
providing me their thoughts on the topic. With regards to plagiarism, I
drive home that point that it is an ethical decision. I focus on
personal ethics and provide examples of making ethic-based decisions
(finding lost cash in a parking lot; copying your friend's homework cuz
you did not get yours done, etc...). I also printed out a few of the
resources noted on the reference page and read key facts/points aloud to
the class from the print-outs. This reading-aloud has also served as a
discussion springboard.

I also have focused on the idea that - when completing research, the
objective is to demonstrate to the teacher what you have learned; not to
simply regurgitate a bunch of facts and quotes. The job of the student
is to synthesize the materials on their topic. The objective of the
student is to learn - not to steal someone else's learnng.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Janet Pedersen
Librarian
Cold Spring School
Santa Barbara, CA 93108
jpedersen@coldspringschool.net
website: http://www.coldspringschool.net/component/option,com_uhp2/
Itemid,98/task,viewpage/user_id,83/
blog:
http://csslibraryblog.blogspot.com/

At the moment that we persuade a child, any child, to cross that
threshold,
that magic threshold into a library, we change their lives forever,
for the
better. ~~Barack Obama (from a speech to the American Library
Association June 25, 2005)