Howe, James. The misfits. Aladdin, 2001 [0-689-83956-1]
Four friends from a small middle school who don't really fit in meet
frequently at the local soda shop and discuss life. When the school's
Student Council elections begin, they decide to organize a third party to
represent minorities.  They school administration is resistant to the idea
and won't let them, saying they need a better defined issue that is not
covered by the other two parties.  Finally they come up an idea.. to stop
name-calling in the school.  They realize that between the four of them,
they have been called 22 names over the years.  The idea catches and and
spreads through the school life wildfire so there is a third party in the
election.  Their slogan is "Sticks and stones may break our bones but names
will break our spirit."  Read this 274 book to find out how a small group of
kids can change a school.  One of the "Misfits" is Joe who appears in
"Totally Joe," a companion to this book.

--
Frederick Muller, Librarian
Halsted Middle School Library