Sorry to take so long in posting this HIT-we've all been sick around
here.   Anyway, here's a beginning compilation of info on "essential
middle school library lessons". As long as this HIT is, believe it or
not there were a few I couldn't include due to length!!!  Thanks to
everyone who sent in information!  When I get my grid completed I'll
send it out so that all this info is put together into one document.

Sonja

What I'm noticing at both the middle schools is that teachers need to
begin teaching research skills and they're starting at square one,
especially when trying to teach note taking skills such reading a text
for the main idea, the difference between copying and paraphrasing, etc.

Spelling is also a big complaint from the teachers.

Each lesson, more or less, has a lesson plan with state standards from
each subject.  I try to collaborate enough so that my lesson correlates
to what is going on in the classroom.  Unfortunately, I only have each
class once a week for a thirty minute period and that has to include
check out.

What about Big 6 research skills and also how to do smart searching
online?  Students need to be exposed to this early on so they will be
intelligent, well-informed researchers.  I am attaching a link to a PP
lesson/activity that we often use with 9th graders that has been quite
successful and you are welcomed to use it and customize to your needs -
you'll find it at the bottom of the page under Library PowerPoint
lessons.  We have the activity sheets if you need them; just email us.
Good luck - it could be awesome to have a class like that if it's done
right!

> Take the 90 days and do units of study.  Some examples might be:

> State Award Book

> Newbery Winners

> Caldecott Winners

> Dewey Decimal System/Non-fiction

> Research

> genre studies

This is the Library Skills Curriculum that I teach to the 6th grades.
I've included a description of each unit and the activities used. Since
there is no text for this, I teach utilizing my own overhead
transparencies, handouts and booklets. I have 9 weeks of two-forty
minute classes for each sixth grade class.

Notebook: Students are asked to keep a notebook of all graded papers
that are returned during the quarter. At the end of the quarter, the
librarian will check their notebooks to see if they have kept their
worksheets, quizzes and test. A grade is given for their notebook.

1.  On-line Card Catalog (one-class)

Instruction about how to use the computerized card catalog on the five
student computers.

2.  Indexing Skills for Print (four-five classes)

        a. Identifying "keywords" within a reference question. Five of
the most common type of reference questions. Worksheet: A list of varied
questions; identify the keyword of the number of answers expected to be
found.

        b. Physical format of an index: Subject heading (bold type, all
capitals), Subheadings, Hanging Indentions, Page/Vol. numbers

        c. Additional features used in different indexes, which provide
the reader with supplemental information: Abbreviations for graphics,
Phonetic spellings, Locations of geographic places, Birth and Death
years, Definitions. Worksheet: Using a pre-made sheet (Sampler Sheet)
with samples from five different indexes, identify on a worksheet
examples of each of the five features as well as the subject heading
each is under

        d. Volume/Paging Numbering Schemes used by different publishers:

Worksheet: After viewing and discussing the different examples from
encyclopedias and books the students will rewrite examples in English
words.

        e. Cross References: The purpose of Cross References (see and
see

also)

and the physical layout of each. Look at examples found in a booklet
provided. Worksheet: Write two new examples of each type of Cross
Reference found in the booklet provided.

        f. Test: Most of the test involves answering questions using the
information from the Sampler Sheet. There is a section for identifying
the parts of an index (Guide words, Subject and Subheadings, Hanging
indentions, Volume and Page numbers.)

3. Reader's Guide and On-line indexes to periodicals (five classes)

        a. What is a periodical index and why do readers need them for
report writing? A video tape is show. Quiz: 5 questions derived from the
lesson and the video tape.

        b. Booklet: "How to use a Reader's Guide Index". Describes the
format of the Readers' Guide and the entries within it. Worksheet: Using
a xeroxed page from a Readers Guide Index, students identify the parts
of the Reader Guide (subject headings, subheadings, cross references,
citations/entries, date of magazine  and title of magazine)

        c. Practice locating citations/entries on a pre-selected
subject, and identifying the useful information in each entry. Worksheet
with space for identifying five different articles from a Reader Guide
booklet. ID: title of magazine, title of article, date of magazine, page
numbers of article, and if the article has a bibliography, map portrait
or illustrations.

        d. MiddleSearch Plus. This is a monthly CD subscription to a
periodical index (similar to Readers' Guide). Using a LCD panel and the
computer, instruction is given on how to use the software.

        e. Microfiche and Microfiche Reader. Periodical Microfiche is
examined and a demonstration is given, explaining how the microfiche
readers and printers work.

4.  Bibliography Creation (four-five lessons)

        a. Discussing the purpose of a bibliography. Listing twenty
different types of media that can have citations placed in a
bibliography. Visually looking at examples of different bibliographies.
Discussing the rules involving "the", "a" and "an" when alphabetizing
citations in a bibliography.  Worksheet: Alphabetizing 16 citations, by
circling the first letter in the citation used for alphabetizing, then
placing a number in front of the citation for ordering.

        b. Layout of three major types of citations (book, magazine,
encyclopedia). Also discuss Internet site citation. Emphasizing order
and punctuation. Also an example of an Internet citation will be
discussed.

Worksheet: Given information about a resource, the student will create a
bibliographic citation for each major type. Three students are selected
to write their examples on an overhead transparency, and the class
discusses the accuracy of the citations.

        c. Finer points of creating citations: A bibliographic "cheat
sheet"

is

given to each student. Examples of the five most popular citations are
given (book, magazine, encyclopedia, microfiche, and Internet). I will
explain what the decisions are to be considered when writing citations,
when the resource deviates from the simple citation format. Worksheet:

True/False; statements about the nature of bibliographies and the "finer
points" discussed.

        d. Practice worksheet: Using the "cheat sheet" and four xeroxed
pages from two books, a magazine article and an encyclopedia article,
students will create a bibliographic citation for each.

5.  Internet site evaluation (one-two lessons)

        If time allows I try to fit in a two lesson unit on evaluation
criteria when selecting authoritative, internet sites.  Discussing
includes the URL address format, types of domain sites, and the criteria
for evaluating (who, what, where, why, how, when). Printed booklets of
web pages are distributed to students for them. Each site-booklet will
generate discussing about how the  criteria is applied to that
particular site.

6.  Something About the Author (one lesson) Something About the Author
is a one hundred and nine volumed encyclopedia used to find report
information about children's authors and illustrators.

After presenting the types of information found in each article,
students complete a worksheet. Each will select one living person from
the volume they have, and answer a series of questions about that author
or illustrator.

Collaboration, Collaboration, Collaboration is the mantra in our school
system and I would suspect many schools. I rarely do stand alone library
lessons for many reasons but mostly because I believe kids remember more
of what you teach when it relates to academic or curricular expectations
and also time is a huge factor; why not kill two birds with one stone?

Selfishly, I also find the lessons are more meaningful and fun for me to
teach as I learn something new about the curriculum areas.  Teachers are
very willing to have you work with them when they see the value.

Just my two cents!

I see all reading classes every 2 weeks.  I have a library lesson almost
every time these classes come in.  Students return/check out books, take
AR test or do anything required by the teacher, then I teach a
lesson--usually for about 20 minutes. This is just my second year of
teaching the entire school--but my 7th year at this school.  I send
teachers the lesson plan ahead of time since I do the majority of the
planning and the lesson, BUT I will also do lessons teachers request.  I
am teaching DDC; catalog; subscription databases; plagiarism; reference
books such as almanac, atlas, thesaurus; things like that.  I have had
teachers ask me to assist them with point of view, figures of speech,
and other such things where I can pull appropriate books to reinforce
these skills.   I plan to have some internet safety lessons this year
too--just not there yet.

have a fully flexible schedule. Teachers usually just come to the
library for research projects. At that time, I usually only have about
20 min to do a quick lesson or review related to the research process. I
have been able to invite my 6th and 7th grade reading teachers to come
in more frequently for book check out. On those days I do either a book
talking session or a lesson on using the library. It is hard to teach
research out of context and I don't think it would stick if I did. I may
have to start doing some research skills lessons and try to incorporate
the topics they are studying in history or science classes. We're in the
same boat with the time devoted not just to TAKS but to all of the
additional 6 weeks tests and benchmark tests and now our teachers have
more and more paperwork to complete on failing students. I'm glad I
moved into the library 5 years ago!

I have tried and tried to incorporate all the skills I feel need to be
taught before my students enter middle school.  However, I became very
frustrated.  Right now, this is what happens realistically.

Week 1 Introduce author of the month/ Encourage Reading Incentive
(example AR, Texas Blue Bonnet Books etc)

Week 2 Library Skill

Week 3 Read Aloud reinforcing reading strategies

Week 4  Story Telling, Readers Theater.

Note.  I keep flash cards and quick games that can be played if I need a
time filler.

I have to do actual library lessons everyday for every class. I have six
classes a day (one each of K-5) and they come to the library weekly in
45minute blocks.  There is no time for individual library use OR for
teachers to sign up to use the library.  Everything centers around AR
and students finding and reading books on their levels

I meant to tell you that I do very few collaborative lessons - usually
because I hear a teacher talking about something they are working on or
they'll tell me when they bring them in they need to "...". So, my plans
are postponed for another day. Also, our county has a library curriculum
that we are to go by.

Every time a class visits the library, I must teach them some library
skill (and it should be high on the critical thinking chart).  I never
do stand alone library lessons; the literacy skills are incorporated
into the subject-area research for ELA, Social Studies, Careers, Health,
Art..whatever.

Skills

KA & KB

Skills Covered this Year

Some Skills Yet to be Covered

Following Directions

Sequencing of a Story

Book Care

Beginning/Middle/End of Stories

Finding Books in the Library - ABC Order

Computer Vocabulary

Call Numbers & Spine Labels

Computer Use

Book Selection

Technology

Book Fair - Needs vs. Wants

Folk Tales, Nursery Rhymes

Book Parts and Vocabulary

Books in Rhyme and Wordless Books

True vs. Imaginary Books

Caldecott and other Award Winning Books

Favorite Authors

Holiday Stories

Alphabet and Counting Books

Computer Projector and Smart Board

1st

Skills Covered this Year

Some Skills Yet to be Covered

Following Directions

Favorite Authors

Book Care - Holding Books Properly

Sequencing of a Story

Library Arrangement

ABC order for Authors

Call Numbers & Spine Labels

Author Order 1st and 2nd Letter

Book Selection - Checkout Procedures

Finding Easy Chapter Books

Finding Easy Readers

Computer Vocabulary

Book Fair - Needs vs. Wants

Computer Projector and Smart Board

Book Parts and Vocabulary

Online Safety & Privacy

Fiction vs. Non-fiction Books

Simple Online Searching

Folk Tales, Tall Tales, and Fractured Tales

Locating advertisements on Internet sites

Caldecott and other Award Winning Books

Understanding a simple inquiry method

Nursery Rhymes

Holiday Stories

Biographies

Reading Biographies

Card Catalog (Computerized)

2nd

Skills Covered this Year

Some Skills Yet to be Covered

Following Directions

Shelving Fiction Books-2nd & 3rd Letter

Book Care

Arrangement of Fiction Books

Library Arrangement

Creating Fiction Call Numbers

Book Selection - Checkout Procedures

2nd/3rd Grade Chapter Book Selection

Using Call Numbers to Find Books

Computer Vocabulary

Book Parts and Vocabulary

Online Safety and Privacy

Book Fair - Needs vs. Wants

Evaluating Websites

Fiction vs. Non-fiction Books

Using Keywords for Online Searching

Caldecott and other Award Winning Books

Inquiry method for problem solving

Folk Tales, Fairy Tales, and Fractured Tales

Sequencing of Stories

Visual Card Catalog (Computerized)

Graphing Based on a Story

Biographies

Creating Biography Call Numbers

Simple Online Searching

Dictionary - Entries and Guide Words

3rd

Skills Covered this Year

Some Skills Yet to be Covered

Book Care

Dewey Decimal Classification

Library Arrangement - Location of Materials

Types of Fiction Books - Genre

Book Parts

Online Safety & Privacy

Arrangement of Fiction Books

Subject Category Searching

Arrangement of Non-fiction Books

Keyword Searching

Card Catalog (Computerized)

Evaluating Online Sources

Book Fair - Needs vs. Wants

Inquiry process for research

Award Winning Books

Reference Books

     Types of Reference

     Encyclopedia & Keywords

     Dictionary - All parts of Entry

     Index Skills

     Map Skills

Using an Online Database to find Information

Computer Vocabulary

Creating Biography Call Numbers

4th

Skills Covered this Year

Some Skills Yet to be Covered

Book Care

Computer Vocabulary

Library Arrangement - Location of Materials

Choosing a Search Site

Book Parts - Glossary and Index

Keyword Searching

Arrangement of Fiction & Biography Books

Using Internet vs. Reference Books

Arrangement of Non-fiction Books

Evaluating Online Sources

Card Catalog (Computerized)

Dewey Decimal Classification

Book Fair - Needs vs. Wants

Types of Fiction Books - Genre

Reference Books

Inquiry process for research

     Types of Reference & Keywords

     Encyclopedia Practice

     Dictionary Practice

     Thesaurus Practice

     Atlas Skills

     Almanac Skills

Using an Online Database to find Information

5th

Skills Covered this Year

Some Skills Yet to be Covered

Library Arrangement - Location of Materials

Online Encyclopedia

Arrangement of Fiction, NF, & Biography

Online Database - Junior Edition

Book Parts

Using Skim & Scan to locate information

Card Catalog (Computerized)

Distinguishing between different Genre

Book Fair - Needs vs. Wants

Dewey Decimal Classification

Reference Books

Using Graphic Organizers

     Dictionary Practice

     Thesaurus Practice

     Atlas Skills

     Almanac Skills

     Note-taking Skills

Big 6 Inquiry process for research

Plagiarism/Bibliographies

Online Searching

     Keyword Searching

6th

Skills Covered this Year

Some Skills Yet to be Covered

Library Arrangement - Location of Materials

Problem Solving Process for Research

Arrangement of Fiction, NF, & Biography

Application of Library Skills

Book Parts

     Research Paper & Presentation

Card Catalog (Computerized)

Distinguishing between different Genre

Book Fair - Needs vs. Wants

Junior High Preparation

Dictionary & Thesaurus Practice

Almanac & Atlas Skills

Online Searching

     Keyword Searching

     Boolean & Wildcard Searching

     Online Encyclopedias & Dictionaries

     Evaluating Online Sources

Online Database - Junior Edition

Note-taking Skills

Big 6 Inquiry process for research

Check out the big6.com site. There may be some matrixes on that site. I
know there are some in the Big6 workshop book.

Don't have a grid, but here's what I think is absolutely essential

How to use the OPAC, find the call number and then find the book on the
shelf.

Basic features of non-fiction books and how to use them.

(copyright date, index, table of contents, etc.)

**how to decide if a website is from a reliable source** (or a book for
that matter).

I'd say the most important lesson/skills relates to online searching
strategies and appropriate citation!  Also how to encourage kids to use
databases instead of google...