Richie's Picks: HONEYBEE by Naomi Shihab Nye,  Greenwillow, March 2008,
176p., ISBN: 978-0-06-085590-7; Libr. ISBN:  978-0-06-085591-4

Bees Were Better

"In college people  were always breaking up.
We broke up in parking lots,
beside  fountains.
Two people broke up
across the table from me
at the  library.
I could not sit at that table again
though I did not know  them.
I studied bees, who were able
to convey messages through  dancing
and could find their ways
home to their hives
even if someone  put up a blockade of sheets
and boards and wire.
Bees had radar in their  wings and brains
that humans could barely understand.
I wrote a paper  proclaiming
their brilliance and superiority
and revised it at a small  cafe
featuring wooden hive-shaped honey dippers
in silver honeypots
on  every table."

Part of me feels as though I should include a  disclaimer when I write about
a new book by Naomi, but that is silly -- she  is not really my cousin; it
just feels that way, having been  lucky enough over the years to spend tiny bits
of time around her and  receive the occasional note that always carries with
it  a peacefulness like that which I experience upon  reading  correspondence
from Tony, my eldest cousin on my  Sicilian side.  As I've written previously,
Naomi  is a fellow Piscian and fellow vegetarian whom I've seen deftly
transform a  cardboard convention center room into a sacred space with simply  a
basket of pita, a bowl of hummus, and a book of poetry.

I read and admire a lot of poetry for children and  adolescents.  I am quite
often entertained  by it and always share it  at booktalks -- including some
pieces I first read as a  child.

I find something so special in getting to spend an  afternoon reading Naomi's
work.

HONEYBEE is Naomi's new collection of poetry.  Each  of the eighty-two poems
has a wonderful personal quality; the  collection reads as if it is a series
of notes in various poetic forms  that she has written to the reader.

"...My niece in Australia told me that the students in her  university class
were required to read the blog of an Iraqi citizen and write  about it before
they could graduate.  She chose a girl who is now fifteen  writing under the
pseudonym Sunshine.  I began reading Sunshine's blog  too.  I love the way she
writes about the details of her life-her friends,  the books she is reading,
her activities and memories.  Life is so  difficult since the war started, but
still she ends her entries with lines like,  'Try not to lose hope.'  She
wishes she could live the way kids in other  countries live, without so much
constant violence surrounding them.   Sunshine has become my personal hero,
drinking deeply out of the moments.   So much is passing so fast..."

This is a bittersweet collection, as Naomi is clearly  feeling the pain --
like so many of us -- that continues to be the product  of five years of war and
war spending.  It is also  a collection that repeatedly alludes to bees and
to the mysterious and  well-publicized disappearance of a lot of honeybees in a
very  short time:

"All the theories about the disappearing bees omit one  possibility: they are
sick of the word 'busy.'  They are on strike.   Sure this cycling and
collecting and producing is what they've done for so  long...worker and queen and
drone...blossom and hive and comb... but the last  thing the bees want stuck in
their pollen baskets is a cliche.  Busy?   Not I.  We can't even know if they
adore the fragrances of flowers...but  they must, right?  Let's hope so.  Let's
hope there's pleasure in  it.

In France, some teenagers asked me, 'Is it true, in your  country, students
don't take time to sit down and drink tea and eat pie upon  return from school?'

Eat pie?  This was hard to  answer.

'I hope they eat pie,' I said.  We all need pie.'
Then I  started looking for a restaurant that served pie..."

I, myself, headed for the funky little cafe in Sebastopol  where my teenage
daughter works after school.  I spent the afternoon  there, with Rosemary
bringing me iced herbal tea and little vegetable  sandwiches, and Naomi talking to
me through her book, bringing me up  to date on her life and observations as
one of our most treasured  poets.

"And I looked around that gate of late and weary ones and  thought, this is
the world I want to live in."

I highly recommend that you find a nice place to spend an  afternoon and
experience HONEYBEE.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com