Richie's  Picks:  THE WOLVES ARE BACK by Jean Craighead George, illustrated
by Wendell Minor,  Dutton, April 2008, 32p. ISBN: 0-525-47947-3
"And  as I grew I soon found the wolfpack grow on me
Laser  bright feel the lunar light comin' down on me"
--  Paul Kantner, "When I was a Boy I Watched the Wolves"
"The  pup watched his father eat.  Then he, too, tore off a bite.  Two
ravens stuffed themselves.  A golden eagle carried off food for her  eaglets.  A
grizzly bear sat nearby waiting for the wolves to leave so she  could eat in
peace.  Three magpies snatched quick bites.  Mice chewed  on calcium-filled
antlers.  Two sexton beetles buried a piece of meat to  eat later.  The valley was
sharing food again.
"The  wolves were back."
I expect that most people -- if told that I spent years in  Boy Scouts --
would not be surprised to learn that one of the first merit  badges I earned was
my Reading merit badge.  So it is that I  vividly recall reading (and
discussing) Jean Craighead George's MY SIDE OF  THE MOUNTAIN, which had garnered a
Newbery Honor back in the days when  I was first learning to read.  And so it was
that I was so excited years  ago when upon entering the exhibition hall
during the very first morning of  my very first American Library Association
convention that I encountered Jean  Craighead George and Wendell Minor together for
a book signing.  (That  appearance had been for another great book about
wolves.)
"Where had they been?
"Shot.  Every one.
"Many years ago the directors of the national parks decided that only the
gentle animals should grace the beautiful wilderness.  Rangers, hunters,  and
ranchers were told to shoot every wolf they saw.  They did.  By  1926, there
were no more wolves in the forty-eight states.  No voices  howled.  The thrilling
chorus of the wilderness was  silenced.
"The wolves were gone."
Jean Craighead George was a young girl learning to read as the last  of the
wolves were shot.  She grew up to write about them in her  Newbery
Medal-winning JULIE OF THE WOLVES and the sequels JULIE and JULIE'S WOLF  PACK, all
three
of which I thoroughly enjoyed reading during my tenure at  the bookstore.
THE WOLVES ARE BACK details how ten adult wolves imported from Canada  into
Yellowstone National Park in 1995 have quickly multiplied into a  series of
wolf packs and have led in turn to the reestablishment of plant  and animal
species not seen in Yellowstone in many decades.  The  wolves drove the bison from
the river so that the aspens grew, halting  erosion and attracting beavers
whose dams formed ponds that  attracted waterbirds, fish, and frogs.  The wolves
thinned out  the coyotes, permitting growth of the ground squirrel population
which  attracted badgers.  The wolves also scared the mountain sheep up into
the  rocky cliffs, leading to the growth of wildflowers in  the Valley:
"Flowers filled the valley.  Bees and butterflies that fed on the  flowers
returned.  Warblers sang.  Hummingbirds brightened the  valley.  Like pieces in
a kaleidoscope, the broken parts of the wilderness  were tumbling into place.

"The wolves were back."
I love how what I learned about ecosystems -- going all the way back to  my
Boy Scout days -- really works!  You fix the broken piece in the system  and it
all begins to function again.  And I love the joyousness of this  book.
Wendell Minor's paintings alternate between portraits of the  larger creatures and
lush, expansive two-page spreads of the Yellowstone  landscape.  You
repeatedly spy the wolf cub somewhere in each  illustration: watching, scampering,
howling, sniffing, listening.  There is  no doubt that Wendell's touch of magic
will cause some readers to  immediately begin dreaming of visiting Yellowstone
and/or dream of having  the wolves back in their own neck of the woods.
A significant book for teaching ecosystems, THE WOLVES ARE BACK will also  go
far in undoing the bad reputation that wolves have had, going all the way
back to Aesop.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com