I started Information Literacy classes at the elementary level ten
years ago. A designed a rubric, utilizing the Big6, and this currently
guides elementary and middle school students. The rubric is sent home
to parents at the end of 2nd - 4th grades. We are creating an extended
rubric/outcomes for grade eight. These are formal classes, not
orientation. I am now at the high school and have completed my first
year of teaching a formal Information Literacy class to 9th grade
students. I designed a full curriculum last summer, learned a lot, and
will be tweaking the curriculum for the fall. All ninth grade students
take the the ninth grade class their first semester to prepare them
for their first big research project the second semester.  I think we
need to move away from the idea of orientation, to problem solving and
problem based learning. This is a pass/fail class, but it is mandatory
for graduation.

Maurine Toth
Head Librarian
Montclair Kimberley Academy