Hi . . .

In the years since I left the California State Library, I have spent a good
deal of time with writers and independent publishers, and more recently
have even published a few books. Talking with many writers over the years
about the challenges of getting a book to publication formed a set of views
summarized in a piece titled "The Pursuit of Publishing: An Unvarnished
Guide for the Perplexed."

Those who have read it and commented have found it helpful and on target.
For those who might be interested, I've posted a free version (complete, as
a .pdf) at http://www.umbachconsulting.com/pursuit.pdf . It gives an
overview of the whole spectrum, from normal commercial publishing to
subsidy publishing, self-publishing, and even vanity publishing, together
with an annotated list of resources for writers seeking publication.

LM_NETers who wish to do so are free to download and print this version of
the booklet (complete, but reformatted from the print version), and to post
links to it. It could be a helpful resource (I am not aware of anything
else like it -- not so concise and direct), and the price is right. Its key
virtue is that in only 15,000 words or so, it helps folks know what
questions to ask, and why, and where to start looking for answers.

Regards,

Ken Umbach

Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D.
Umbach Consulting & Publishing
    ken@umbachconsulting.com
    6966 Sunrise Blvd., #263, Citrus Heights, CA 95610 (mailing address)
    916-733-2159 (voice mail, NOT a fax number)
    www.umbachconsulting.com : Business home page
    http://publishing.umbachconsulting.com : Publishing venture
    http://theaccidentalpublisher.typepad.com : "The Accidental Publisher" blog
    http://stores.lulu.com/kenumbach  : Lulu.com storefront