Hello Everyone. Sorry it took so long to send this out. I had originally asked for
some suggestions regarding digital camcorders to use in the elementary school. I
didn't really specify who would use them or how, but I got some great suggestions.
The response was overwhelmingly in favor of the flip cameras. I did some research
and even checked them out in person in the stores. Actually, I wasn't able to get
my hands on an RCA, but I did get to try the Flip Ultra and Flip Mino. Because all
the computers at our school are MACs, I think the FLIP will be a better choice.
It's MAC compatible without having to purchase extra software. I like the idea that
students can use these to do projects and transfer them to the computer without too
much worry about breakage of an ultra expensive device. Here are the suggestions I
got from LMNETTERs. THANKS!

Nancy,
You don't say if this is being used by students or teachers...if students there is
a new little camera called a Flip phone and another one similar by RCA that is
wonderful!? They are both priced around $100 and change.? Both are kid friendly.?
We bought the RCA one because it has a screen that flips around so the recorder can
see themselves as they record themselves.? Both have a USB attached so that the
whole phone slips into a usb port for downloading.? The RCA one has the ability to
add memory chip which would be nice if it were being used for a project.
?
The other one we have is an Olympic which requires a firewire to download.?
Unfortunately on our laptops have a firewire connection so that makes it very
difficult to download onto a teacher desktop computer.? So that would be one thing
I would definitely recommend having...the ability to download without a firewire
i.e. usb ports instead.? This has all sorts of settings and is more sophisticated
than our RCA flipcamper.? Guess which one gets used more...yup..flip camera.
?
Recommend going to the School Library Journal to see what they think:
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6536670.html
?
I retired in 2000, but from the reviews I've read, I think one of the variations of
the Flip would probably be perfect for elem. use, unless you feel you have to have
a high-quality picture.
The latest model is called the mino.? There are many reviews of this, including
some video demos of it.
http://theflip.com/store/Product.aspx?CID=F3
Because it is so thin, you might prefer the previous generation of the Flip.
http://theflip.com/store/Product.aspx?CID=F2
Google for....
flip mino review
or
flip ultra review

Check out the Flips.? They are inexpensive and easy for kids to use.?

I love my FLip Camera, bought at Best Buy for $150! It isn't fancy, but sturdy
enough so kids can EASILY use it.

I had one response regarding something other than the flip cameras, in case anyone
might be interested in another product:

?

Personally, I love my Sony Handicam...I think Sony has terrific
products. At my school we order the Canon ZR800's and they are reliable
and more affordable.

Nancy Hally
3rd grade teacher, soon to be LMS (fall 2008)
Longdale Elementary School
Henrico County Public Schools
Richmond, VA
hallynva@aol.com