Well, I did it. I know, give me 100 lashes with a wet noodle.

For the past couple years, I've been using the free home version of Avast as my
anti-virus program.

I had also downloaded Windows Defender as my firewall, but  turned it off after a
month or so because it was useless.

Why? It kept asking me, "Allow or Deny" for every single thing.

I had no freaking idea!

Avast was making me nuts because I am addicted to a Yahoo game called Word Mojo, a
timed game. It ALWAYS chose to update at the most crucial moment, freezing my
computer. The time clock would be running out and the mouse would not "work." I
take my Word Mojo VERY seriously.

So, yesterday, I decided to get rid of Windows Defender and Avast and download the
free security package my provider AT&T Yahoo provides. I uninstalled Avast &
Defender through that Add/Remove programs window.

Well, guess what, I hadn't enough RAM left, even after getting rid of Avast and
Defender.

So, I went to add/remove programs and got rid of a couple games, Microsoft money,
quicken (I have never used them anyway), something called Safari that got put onto
my computer when hubby got an ipod that he never uses,  in the hopes of freeing up
RAM.

My mistake came in trying to get rid of Messenger (I NEVER IM, Nobody I know knows
how to IM. In fact, I hate IM'ing (hate texting too, I don't understand the point
of it))

Somehow, My icon for Internet Explorer vanished. It seems I deleted IE too, so I
went to MS website and downloaded IE 7. I ran the install/set-up program.

But, still, no icon to click on to open it. I could see it, sitting there in
Add/remove programs but I could not "Find" it to install a shortcut or open it.

So, I did a system restore to July 2. IE is back.

Now, upon restart, the computer wants to "configure MS Money" and will not stop
trying to configure Money. I click cancel and it pops right back up, over and over
and over.

EVERYTHING I deleted yesterday is back, listed in that Add/Remove programs list.
It's "there," but not there. I click REMOVE and it says it's not there. quicken,
Money, Avast, Defender, etc. They are all listed as being there, but they are not
"there."

The kicker is that I still haven't enough RAM to download the AT&T security package.

So, I found this firewall called Comodo on the web, downloaded and installed it. It
seems to work very well.

So, I attempt to download and install the Avast again. I can download the set-up
shell, but it will not RUN.

The AVast icon is still on my Start window and on the bottom right (near the time
display). But, the icon down there has a red slash on it.

Do I even need anti-virus with a firewall?

If I do, all I want is to totally get rid of that so I can download either:

1: Avast again or
2. Some other anti-virus program, like AVG.

When I try to download AVG I'm told I have anti-virus software and to remove it
before downloading so as to not damage my machine.

But, I don't have anti-virus software. Avast is there but cannot be activated or
turned on.

I am leaving to have surgery in a few minutes and will check back later, when I
come back from the hospital. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

DawnMarie Sardes
Teen Services Librarian
Euclid Public Library
Euclid, OH
yayagoddess@sbcglobal.net.omit.this
Check out my Harry Potter Fan Fiction at:
http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewuser.php?showuid=85308