Here are some of the responses I have received regarding the ever popular flex
period. By some of the replies, my school is not the only one trying to figure how
to better implement this period. A BIG thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I taught in a middle school 5 years ago and we utilized this flex period. It was a
great way to allow students to get remediation and/or work on homework with a
teacher present. In that school (Pennfield MS, North Penn SD), each teacher had
what was essentially their homeroom. Students were permitted to go for remedial
help, visit the library, even play ping-pong. Chorus, band, etc. was not held
during that time since there were other students taking classes - it was not a
school-wide flex period - if I remember correctly, it was one grade per day since
the building housed 7th - 9th grade.

We have something like this. Right now, it is the last period of the day. It
used to be the first period. It works much better at the end of the day.
Here is how it works.

On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, it is called Team Block. On those days,
the teachers use the block as a time to teach something they don't normally
have time to, as SSR time, or as a study block for the students. Some
teachers schedule a class to the library for research or send students to
choose books from the library.

On Tuesday and Thursday, it is called Activity Period. On those days, the
students who have an activity like Band, Chorus, Student Council, etc. go to
it. I have four students that I have chosen as Library Workers who come to
the Library to help every Activity Period as their activity. They file
books, deliver overdue notices, dust, make book displays, help during the
bookfairs. The other students are supposed to be in a study with their
homeroom teacher. I get a lot of students in the library to choose books
during Activity Period, but they just come, choose the book, then go back to
homeroom.

Our middle school has a flex period every day. Here's how it works:
During E period, half of the 7th grade has lunch the first half of the period,
while the other half have flex. Then they reverse it for the last half of the
period. During F period, it's the same for the 8th grade.
Students go to their homeroom for flex. Tuesday and Thursday are SSR days, with
everyone required to stay in their flex class and read silently. The other three
days, flex is like a regular study hall. Students may have their passes signed to
go to the LMC or computer lab, or to make up work for another teacher.
Hope this helps.

I just finished my first year in a rural 7-12 building -- grades 7 and 8 are
segregated and run a separate schedule from the high school.  Middle school has a
flex period at the end of the day.  During this time those students who are in band
or chorus go to those and the remaining students report to their flex class for a
study hall.  From there no more than 5 students from each class can be sent down to
the library to take AR tests, find a book, or work on an assignment or on the
computer.

We have a 25 minute tutorial Period. Friday is an all out Day.  At this time
we hold Friday Tutorial Detention in the library. [this is students who
can't serve time any other way or usually they did not come to class
prepared either materials or assignment ( We have a lunch detention, I'll
explain later.
Students are excused from this class to get help in a subject.  University
Interscholastic League Academic practice.  UIL governs athletics in the
state of Texas, but we do have academics also.  Students that did not pass
the TAKS test last year or the practice test now called Benchmarks are
pulled out 2 days a week.  Usually this is Math all levels, Science 8th
grade.  Low reading scores are addressed in Remedial Reading in all grades.
8th graders passing the reading test do not have to have reading.  Weak math
student are also served by a double block Math.  The 6th grade Reading
teacher does a pull out program for her worst students.  We have a special
reading class for our Dyslexic students. (We put all three grades in one
class, one of the few classes where grades are mixed)  All of out core
subjects: Reading, Math., English, History& Science go to the Computer lab
for Study Island. (We may be switching  I know the version we use was out of
date I think they upgraded last year)  Band is also allow to have students
come in on Wed and Friday[this cuts down on the number out side, we have a
big band program].

Students are assigned to a teacher all year.  They are just moved for
extended period (3 or 6 weeks) by the requesting teacher sending the
principal a list which she forwards to the rest of us.  The Assigned teacher
is expected to know where their students are.

Lunch detention:   Each grade had 15 minutes out side before lunch.  If you
do not have your homework then the next day you go to lunch detention
instead of going out side.  Lunch detention is served on the stage in the
cafeteria.  After the rest come in to lunch the lunch detention  bunch goes
and gets their lunch and comes back and works until the end of the period.

If any of these thing appeal ask again and I will explain in minute detail.

Doug Alichwer
Librarian
Creative Arts Team Leader
Swatara Middle School
Central Dauphin SD
Harrisburg, PA 17113
717-939-9363 x76361
dalichwer@cdschools.org

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: This electronic message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank You.