Hi Karla! In fact, the Newbery and Caldecott Medal winners, along with
numerous other American Library Association awards such as the Coretta
Scott King Book Awards, Printz Award, etc., are announced at ALA's
Midwinter Meeting in January. It is true, the awards themselves are
presented, and the winners make speeches, at a series of gala events
during ALA's Annual Conference the following June, which took place last
week.

For a complete listing of ALA awards (you'll have to scroll down to find
the ones you want), please visit:

http://www.ala.org/ala/awards/books_media/index.cfm

To go directly to the Newbery page, please visit:

http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/newberymedal
/newberymedal.cfm

To go directly to the Caldecott page, please visit:

http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/caldecottmed
al/caldecottmedal.cfm

The awards that were presented last week were the 2008 winners. The 2009
winners will be announced on Monday morning, January 26, 2009 at a press
conference during ALA's Midwinter Meeting in Denver, Colorado. Often the
press conference is Web cast; check the ALA home page after January 1
for information about that possibility: http://www.ala.org. This year
(2008)'s Web cast is available via Google video at:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4514698237320024574&hl=en

We appreciate your interest in ALA's book and media awards!

Diane Foote, Executive Director
Association for Library Service to Children
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
312-280-2162
dfoote@ala.org