Another great one to add to the list (sorry I did not see your original posting)
for upper elementary/middle school is

Hugging the Rock by Susan Taylor Brown
ALA Notable book
About a young girl's whose mother leaves her and her father. Very moving and is set
as a verse novel. My fifth grade girls loved the story although I did have to talk
about mental illness to a few of them, which the mother suffered from.