A book of Civil War era recipes contains a reference to using almond
extract; while recipes in other sources refer to using crushed
almonds for the almond flavor.  I'm wondering if the reference to
almond extract might be an anachronism.

Almond extract is made from the oil of almonds (usually the bitter
almond) and alcohol.  Could that have been available during the 1860s?

I can make a lot of guesses from the facts that I can find but I
really need a definitive source that states when almond extract was
first produced.

If anyone has any clues I'd certainly be appreciative.
Sharron McElmeel
Sharron L. McElmeel
http://www.mcelmeel.com

McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcbookwords.com/

Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
Children's Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit/
Young Adult Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/yalit/

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562