Gutman, Dan. Jim and me. [A baseball care adventure]. HarperCollins, 2008
[978-0-06-059495-4]

Once again we meet Stosh who has the amazing gift to travel back in time by
holding an old baseball card.  This time his enemy as school convinces him
to go back in time to the time when Jim Thorpe was popular.  They try to go
back into time to change the scandal in which Jim was involved.  The reader
meets Jim Thorpe and other players from that time in history and also learns
about how loosely the rules were followed in that day.  These books are good
for upper elementary students.  While they talk about time travel and being
able to change history, it is a very shallow explanation about what may
happen when one changes one little thing in future.  This 194 page book is
another in this series which start to sound a little similar but the author
puts enough sub-plots to make them interesting.  Upper elementary students
who like the comfort of a similarly recurring plot and characters will enjoy
this book along with the others.

--
Frederick Muller, Librarian
Halsted Middle School Library