The very first picture book/ folktale (398.2) that comes to mind is
Martina the Beautiful Cockroach by Carmen Agra Deedy.
Publisher: Peachtree Publishers; Hardcover & CD edition (September 1, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1561454680
ISBN-13: 978-1561454686

Not only is it beautifully illustrated, it is funny and has so many possibilities
for teaching and enjoyment. It has been a big hit in our library with ALL grades
(PreK-5) and was constantly checked out after I read it. There is also a repeated
refrain that I put to a simple tune and the kids were still singing it days after I
read it to them. I can't recommend this book enough!

Another book that has been a big hit (I've had to order a second copy) is The Three
Little Rigs by David Gordon.
Publisher: Laura Geringer; 1 edition (May 10, 2005)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0060581182
ISBN-13: 978-0060581183
While it isn't as new as you may wish, The Three Little Rigs is not only hilarious
it is a fantastic variant of the Three Little Pigs that the kids really enjoyed.
They can make some predictions and inferences but so far no one has guessed who or
what will take the place of the Big Bad Wolf. (A wrecking ball) Lavishly
illustrated, it is a guaranteed check out with numerous possibilities for teaching
moments that not all books have. David Gordon has also written Hansel and Diesel
(another one I just purchased) as well as the Ugly Truckling. The Ugly Truckling is
not as easy to get but Hansel and Diesel is still available. As I said, they are
not newly published BUT they are wonderful additions to an elementary library.

Of course there is the Fly Guy series, which if you haven't seen is quite funny as
well as Skippy Jon Jones which is a big hit with students in grades PreK-3.

Hope that helps some! Enjoy your stay.

Christine Rayl, Librarian
Bowie Elementary
Grand Prairie ISD TX