Lupica, Mike. The big field. Philomel Books, 2008 [978-0-399-34625-8]

Hatch is a shortstop on his team which has a chance to make it to the
championship games which are played on the professional big field.  Baseball
is Hatch's life and he is the best on his team until a new kid arrives who
is just as good and ends up taking Hatch's shortstop position, moving him to
second base.  To top it all, Hatch's father was the shinning start baseball
player in the town when growing up but never really made it when he got to
the minor leagues.  Now he drives limos and catties golf… and drinks
beer.  This
243 page book is about the complex relationship between a father and son
while a teammate is trying everything to outshine him.  Once again, Mike
Lupica has written a great sports story with a complex plot that is very
readable for sports fans and non-sports fans like me.  He doesn't fall into
the trap of writing tediously long play-by-play descriptions of all the
games.  I think this is Lupica's best so far.

--
Frederick Muller, Librarian
Halsted Middle School Library