From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of darlene price
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:40 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Doing without Dewey

Am intrigued with a field trip that I took today to Perry Library in
Gilbert, Arizona which is "doing without Dewey."  They are part of the
Maricopa County library system and have opted to organize their library
ala Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc.  The place is warm, friendly and
familiar in tone to the bookstores that I haunt.  The director spoke at
the past ALA conference in Anaheim, CA about their decision to do a
public library without Dewey.  This library is also part of a
partnership with Gilbert School District and is on the Perry High School
Campus.  Am wondering if any of the LM-Netters have heard of this, seen
other examples of it in the public/private library systems.  Here is the
link to the powerpoint presentation they used:
http://www.ala.org/ala/pla/plaevents/plaatalaannual/deweymcld.ppt#256,1,
Slide%201

Very interested in your thoughts as librarians, cataloguers, and
patrons.darlene price, cybrarianHorseshoe Trails ElementaryCave Creek,
AZdtp004@hotmail.com

"Good judgment comes from experience,
and often experience comes from bad judgment."
                                       --Rita Mae Brown
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGL
M_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_072008