While we certainly want to provide the maximum amount of relevant
organization to our patrons, we also want to teach them a transferable
skill.  If a library decides to go it alone and creates its own idea of
where materials belong, how transferable will that knowledge be when the
child goes to the public library, or even to the next school up the
chain? Will the child be at square one in locating information?  I'm not
saying that Dewey doesn't need some adjustment after all these years.
As a professor of cataloging, I always pointed out the biases and
inconsistencies.  The advantage is that ALL Dewey'd libraries have the
SAME inconsistencies.  A patron just needs to learn the scheme once.

If you elect to Border your library, will your patrons be able to locate
materials in the middle or high school library, the public library, or
for that matter, Barnes & Noble?

--
Carol Simpson, JD, Ed.D. Assoc. Prof. (Mod. Serv.) University of North
Texas School of Library and Information Sciences csimpson at