I have been asked by many to post a hit---here are the first few:  I tried to
post all the suggestions. Thanks to everyone who responded...I will post more
as they come

Several years ago I had an afterschool book club.  Actually, at first I
read to them and we discussed the book as it was read.  Later they read
books on their own and reported to the group.  With another group at a
different time, I did not have a book club exactly, but anyone who
wanted to read a book, dress in character or make a poster, etc. could
come to the library after school and I "videoed" them.  They could have
a copy to take home if they brought a tape, and the teachers could check
them out to show in the room.  Also, I had a book club but kids could
choose to read a hardback from the library or find an online book to
read; I supplemented the online with software with books being read (or
having kids read themselves) and there were separate activities to do
with the book.  In addition to all of this,  I have had puppet clubs.
The students would read plays, make puppets and perform them.  Sometimes
I had them write their own version of the play, make the puppets, and
have the play performed.  I have a really great puppet stage made out of
pipe which my husband constructed, and one of my teachers sewed the
curtains around three sides.  In all of this, the kids got to pick what
they wanted to read.
I have a boys and a girls third grade book club each year that meets on
different days. I let the teachers select about 10 students who are mix of
excellent readers, struggling readers and average but need a little boost. The I
choose either 6 or 7 from their list. We meet every week for an hour during lunch.
I  purchase paperbacks from the bookstore and let them vote on their favorite.
The books range from "hot off the press",a biography, aNewbery and so on. We
read the book together and then read a chapter or 2 at home. Sometimes they
cannot stand to wait and finish the book at home!. We discuss what has happened
each week. When we finish the book we celebrate with pizza for lunch or a
desert that is the theme of the book. I really get to know the students and we
have so much fun, especially with the boys! Hope that helps!

1.  As an after-school extra-curricular activity.  I choose a book and send
home a letter to all 3rd-5th graders describing the club & include a permission
slip to be returned.  (I work in K-5 schools, and to me the activity seems
like to much for anyone under 3rd grade.)  The groups were between 6 and 10
students.  I charged $20 per kid for 4 or 5 weeks of staying after school for an
hour once a week.  The charge included a paperback copy of the book to keep,
plus snacks and materials for activities.  Each week the kids had to read an
assigned portion of the book, then we discussed it & did some related activity,
such as a craft or computer game.  Just make sure parents know they must pick
up their kid on time or they won't be allowed to participate.  I've had varying
degrees of success;  sometimes it would fill up right away, other times I had
to cancel due to lack of interest.
2.  During school.  This past year I had the luxury of one afternoon a week
that was not scheduled for classes, so I did a book club for 3rd-5th grades, a
different one each of 4 marking periods.  I asked the teachers to nominate
their top readers to participate, as the principal wanted it to be an
"enrichment" opportunity for advanced students.  We met in grade level groups of 6
students for 40 minutes.  I tried following the "literature circles" model (Google
it), in which the students take the lead in deciding which book to read and
what to discuss about it.  We also did a related project, which the kids also
chose.  Unlike the after-school version, we just did one big project that we
worked on a little each week, instead of a different activity every time.
Although I never really got comfortable with the kid-directed format (I prefer
being
in charge & knowing what to plan and expect), the students all loved it.
I had a "City of Ember" book club this past year.  It started when
the waiting list for the book got impossibly long.  It was very loose
as far as requirements and selecting kids.  I accepted as many as I
could get books for. We met during their lunch.  They read at their
own pace (Most finished before the second meeting) then we spent
almost three months writing and filming a 'movie.'  The girls wrote
it by themselves with just a few suggestions from me.

Many of our meeting got off track as the girls talked about other
things going on in their lives.  (6th graders)  I enjoyed it very
much and I think it was good for them in many ways.  These were girls
who were not friends, in different cliques, who only got together in
book club.  When they wanted to start meeting more often, I suggested
that they sit together at lunch and learned that that would not be
possible because of the social pecking order.  They were very frank
and matter of fact about it.  I like to think that book club opened
doors for them to be friendly when they go to middle school next year
and the pecking order is turned upside down.  At the very least, they
learned how to come together and work cooperatively and respect each
other at least part of the time.

Sorry, I rambled.  I hope this helps.  My goal was for book club to
be fun.  If they learned something, so much the better.

I just read your message on the TLC list.....  I am also wanting/planning to
start of book club for students this coming school year!  I would really
appreciate seeing any helpful messages that you receive.  I have a few plans, but I
am FAR from having it figured out.

The timing of it had to fit into my school's very busy calendar, so we
finalized that last May.  We will meet after school on Friday afternoons from
dismissal at 3:00 until 4:00, and it will be just about every other Friday.  We are
a 1-5 school, fairly high socio-economic but also some Title kids.  On the
most part, the kids at my school are readers.

These are some of my concerns  - maybe you have the same concerns, or
suggestions!
*  If the entire bookclub reads the same title, do you expect everyone to go
out and buy their own?  What about kids who really can't afford - do you have
just a few copies available for them, but is that fair?
*  What about snacks, should snacks be offered??  Are you comfortable using
your Book Fair profits to pay for snacks or books?
*  Would it work to have several choices for students so that they are not
limited to just the "chosen" book - for example, select titles with about 3 or 4
on hand in the library, offer about 10 stacks of these multiple books, and
sort of create mini-reads within the big group?  Then possibly have the kids
presents something to the big group, and perhaps enticing others with the title
that they read (!)
*  Should the titles used be only new hot-off-the-press books to keep it
cutting edge, or books from the regular collection?  If I go with brand new books,
then that would require the kids to buy their own book, but it would also
keep it exciting and new.

I just talked with another librarian in my area and she has been at her
school for 22 years.  She has done many different things for book clubs over the
years.  Timing is always an issue - she has done lunch book clubs (very limited
time) and seems to like after school the best.  She is doing an on-going Harry
Potter, once a month, continues from year to year.  She feels strongly that
the kids need to TALK and laugh and share thoughts about the book, so she keeps
it to one title.  She does not do any kind of snack, never has.  She is going
to add a Warriors club for this coming next year - cool!!!

Sorry this is so long but I am delighted to know someone else who is just
starting a book club.  Any more info that you can pass along would be great.

Thanks for sending out this post. I have been brainstorming the same for my
elementary school too. Right now my focus has been the Bluebonnet Books and it
has been popular, but I have a limited number of them and not all students
have such easy access to them because they are continually checked out. So, I
thought that I could reach even more students if I created a themed type of "book
club" (ie. mystery, American Girls, scary stories, etc.). If you get any
ideas coming your way, do you mind sharing? I have teamed up with one of my 4th
grade reading teachers and she is behind it all the way. I was thinking of
meeting once every other week before school starts (7:30 to 8:00) in the library
and letting them share with each other the books they have read through short
book talks. I'd like to make it special with something to honor them such as
displaying their names in the school and giving them special items such as a
unique book mark, certificates, etc. Anyway, if you get any ideas sent to you, do
you mind either posting or forwarding them? Thanks so much and best of luck
with it!
 have run a book club at my elementary school over the last 3 years.  I open
it to any student in the 5th grade.  I usually start in the fall with about 12
students.  By the end of the year I'm down to 3 - 5. We meet once a week for
about 30  to 45 minutes.  I find that many of the students don't read the
book, but some do.  My first year I had them read during the week and we discussed
what they read when we met.  I found it difficult to get a discussion going.
This past year I had the students read during our meeting time and saved the
last 10 or 15 minutes for discussion.  I also got the book on CD and we
listened...they really liked that the best.  The group I had this year only wanted
to read a few pages a week, so it was difficult to discuss the book.  I find
the end of the year when I have a smaller group to be the best, because they
really are interested in reading and discussing the book.  I sometimes provide
snacks, and wonder if they are coming for the snacks or to discuss books. I
select the books we are going to read, but let them pick from the list of books I
have selected

The books I have done are:
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis (they really enjoy this book)
A Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder, by Richard Peck
The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman
Nowhere to Call Home by Cynthia DeFelice
Last year I started having "Lunch with the Librarian" on Wednesdays with
students that filled out plot structures on last year's Bluebonnet list. It helped
me promote the reading list and I was able to help the students (and
ultimately the teachers) with how to do plot structure.

We use a form that has the following requirements: (I think this is all)
title
genre / why?
main characterss
setting
problem
solution
ending

The students turn in the form to me and I send them an invitation to lunch.
During the lunch, we talk about the book, eat our lunches, revise their plot
structures, and then just talk so I can get to know them better. It was
fantastic!

This year I bought about 10 copies of the Bluebonnet books so I can actually
have book clubs. I still intend to use the "Lunch" time I have set up but I
may have to change to T/Th because I still need to host individual readers.

This year our district is going to try and have a Battle of the Books and the
2X2 and Bluebonnets will make up most of the required reading. So my
luncheons should get lively because I am also going to have the students think up
possible questions that could be asked at the competition.

******************
On the recommendation of another librarian, I am reading The Kid's Book Club
Book by Judy Gelman and Vicki Levy Krupp.  I bought it for under $6 (including
s&h) through an online vendor
**************************************

I introduced the authors of The Kids Book Club Book at the Texas Book
Festival last year. They have great ideas in their book and on their websites that
answer many book club questions. Although the book is not intended for school
library audiences, you will be able to use and adapt the ideas and strategies.
Just search for it on Amazon....
The Kids' Book Club Book: Reading Ideas, Recipes, Activities, and Smart Tips
for Organizing Terrific Kids' Book Clubs (Paperback)
by _Judy Gelman_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Judy%20Gelman)
  (Author),
_Vicki Levy Krupp_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Vicki%20Levy%20Krupp)
  (Author)
"If you picked up this book, chances are you love to read..." (_more_
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1585425591/ref=sib_fs_top?ie=UTF8&p=S00N&checkSum=BaVp6
YLsmK7i5LtG0f1u8Hlrj9zFCAtxI1bL8pV0Ngk=#reader-link) )
Please post or email your responses as I am interested in starting a book
club at my elem.  I was thinking about using our state book award nominees
just to get the kids more interested in reading them.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing--"Library Lunch" once a week or so.

If you think of anything--PLEASE share! Right now I am trying to get a
few audiobooks to share and discuss. I had also thought of using some
of the craft ideas from "Daring Book for Girls" to begin with and then
move into the book discussion mode.

****************************
Please post a hit of ideas and suggestions.  I to am wanting to start a book
club for my 4th and 5th graders.  This is what I have planned this far.
We will meet once a week before school for 30 minutes.
In order to promote the Bluebonnet books I was going to use some of those.
But would love more ideas and organizational tools.
********************
 I was thinking the same thing! Something like a "lunch bunch" and when I
mentioned it to my principal hewanted to target the "at risk" kids who need the
extra incentive to read. Honestly, I was thinking in the other direction, more
enrichment...
*************************************
Our science teacher was actually the coordinator for our book club and she
chose a book based on the Jason project theme for the school year.  For example,
last year the focus was weather (I think it may have tied in with global
warming) and she picked a book that was weather related--a novel about the
Galveston hurricane of 1900.  She opened it to kids in grades 4-6 who were involved
with the Jason project as part of their science curriculum.  They had a books
and breakfast after everyone had read the book. I  believe they just had a
social time and discussed the book before school while they ate breakfast.
Everyone brought something.  I think it would be fun to have everyone bring
something that related to the book in some way--blue "ocean water " type juice
drink,
or something fun like that.

I'm doing one this summer with any kids that want to with The City of Ember
since that movie will be coming out this fall.
*****
 have book clubs at my library for different grade levels.  Here's a link to
the information on my web page:

_http://www.coldspringschool.net/Classrooms/jpedersen/Mrs.-Pedersen/Library-Bo
ok-Clubs.html_
(http://www.coldspringschool.net/Classrooms/jpedersen/Mrs.-Pedersen/Library-Book-Clubs.html)

****************
I just finished my library degree but am not leaving the classroom just yet.
However, I had an after school book club for three years at my school library.
It was a great success. The key is to find a book that is high interest. I
had one on Spiderwick, another on Unfortunate Events and another on Harry
Potter. Also, having a series books works great because the kids are very motivated
to read the next book. I tried one last year during lunch but it was not as
successful, as the time as too limited.  I got approval from my principal. We
bought the books with a grant from YMCA, and we sent out flyers. I gave a
deadline for sign up and a limit on the number of students. Oh, and parent
permisssion also for pick up for transportation.  Then I looked at the student's
applications and made decisions. Generally, after you start and set up rules, those
who are serious will stay and any that might just be playing around will drop
off, leaving room for those other serious ones who wanted to get in in the
first place.
I can't be of any help with "how tos ", but would suggest books from
your current state award list for book choices.

Year before last I had a 2nd-3rd grade book club.  This presented a wide
variety of reading levels.  I learned to consider one grade level for the future
because it caused me to select different books for each grade (not really easy
to share books at that point). Also, a tracking system for books is
imperative.  Some books were not returned!

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.