I love this thread; I haven't seen anyone suggest a fun and easy way:  exchange
students!  We lived in a tiny town (2,000 people, with a mayor who was Mayor by
Day, King by Night---he was an Elvis impersonator--and a good one!)  I wanted my
daughters to be interested in the rest of the world, so we hosted over 30
international students in our home.  A few were only weekends, some were several
weeks and many were all school year.  Even though my daughters are grown and
teachers themselves, my husband and I still host.  Last year we had a girl from
Venezuela and a boy from Moldova.  This year we are expecting a girl from Norway
and a boy from Italy!
  I am now an IC (international coordinator) with Aspect Foundation and I challenge
everyone to open their hearts and homes to a student from another country.  It will
enrich your lives and schools.  http://www.aspectfoundation.org/   There are other
organizations, of course.
  I noticed that the kids thought differently about world news when they actually
knew someone from the country involved.  They knew more, but more importantly, they
care more!
  I'm retired now, except for a part time job with ART IN HISTORY, but I haven't
lost my love of kids!
  Sincerely,
  Dianne Murray
  gypsy007@bellsouth.net