Wow.  I received over 45 responses to my questions about preschool
checkout.  Thanks to everyone.

There was were ~18 responses for check to students ~18 responses for check
to teacher/books stay at school and ~9 responses for no checkout.

I will have each class for 20 minutes.  I plan to talk to both both teachers
during workshop week and then out what will work best for everyone.
Here are the responses I received

Generally our preschoolers do not check out; they come to library for
storytime only.

I am also the sole librarian in a K-12 school, and also run two
libraries. (And people wonder why I work all summer!)

We do preschool checkout, but not on a regular basis.  I find that it works
well to have the teachers make sure books are returned.  They are
cooperative in this regard, and receive much better responses than I would.

The kids LOVE interactive story times with books like Oliver Finds His Way
and The Seals on the Bus that they can supply animal sounds, refrains, etc.
(the louder the better).

I check the books out to the teacher.  They keep a basket of books in their
rooms and return them when they want different books. For my lessons, I read
books and do flannel board stories such as the ones in Judy Sierra's The
Flannel Board Storytelling Book.

I've had preschool for the past 2 years ( in a school with grades 2-5).

I took a gallon-sized ziploc freezer bag, wrote the child's name and AM or
PM ( its half day preschool) and the teachers name and " LIBRARY BOOK" on
it. I also printed out a barcode label ( childs name and barcode)  and
affixed it to the bag with clear tape.

I had a selection of books on a table and they selected from those ( 10 kids
per class, maybe 25 books to pick from) .  Teachers aide returned the books
earlier in the day, and I checked the returned books in. Whoever had an
empty bag was able to check out that day.  I distributed the empty bags and
the kids picked a book and put it in the bag. and handed me the bagged book.
If I didnt have time to check out  then, I would check the books out at some
point during the day and send the books to the classroom.

At that age, they did not come to the library independently, so they only
picked books on their library day, and only one book at a time.   again, no
bag, no book.  I did create a letter to parents explaining the procedure,
and asking them to write their childs name on a ziploc bag if they lost the
library issued bag.  Same deal, no bag, no book.

I let them check out books. I rely on their teachers to come with them and
to help run down the books. They are so appreciative of using the
library,they're glad to help.

After initial qualms, I came to love the PreK group!!! (did not have 3 year
olds)I let the PreK kids check out one book at a time and if they did not
bring it back, they could not check out another one. Their teacher was
phenomenal about keeping track of the books and making sure the books came
back.

We have a wonderful PreK teacher who really helped plan the process that we
did. I'll try to keep it short....

1. I preselect a stack of books, ensuring that there are at least 5 more
than the number of students. I have the books on a table next to our
storytime/ telling area.

2. Students come in and check in their books with me 'standing guard' to
ensure that they do it properly and that everyone has their book. It only
took a few weeks for them to get the hang of reading the barcode.

After they check in their book, they go over and sit in a circle. I read to
them, possibly a story that has something to do with what they are learning
in class.

3. We talk about the book briefly - no more than 5 minutes.

The Teacher then begins showing each book that I preselected, one at a time
to students. Students raise their hand if they want the book and the teacher
gives it to the first student who raises his or her hand.

Once everyone has their book (they are still seated) she calls the first 5
students by name and gives them their library card. They come up to the desk
to check out where I  help them. Those who did not return their book lines
up at the door and she notes their names to send a note home to their
parents.

4. As they check out their book, I give them a book mark (having shown them
how to use one) and they line up at the door.

It is relatively simple and easy but I'm the first to say that it wouldn't
be so if not for the wonderful job of the teacher. However, they do NOT
check out books until the teacher feels they are ready to follow the process
- and can behave themselves. This usually happens by Thanksgiving. Before
they check out, I have weekly storytime, fingerplay and/or songs, lessons on
how to handle a book, how to look at a book, etc. This year I hope to visit
their classroom once a week at the beginning of school, sharing a story and
just talking to them. The early years are the best years to capture a
student with the magic of books and stories.

Hope this isn't too much information....or confusing. : )

I do a story time with the 3 and 4 year olds in which we sing songs, learn
nursery rhymes, read books, do finger plays, and do flannel board stories.  One
teacher has me select a stack of appropriate books (one for each student)
and check them out to the teacher before they get there.  They bring the
books back the next time they come. The students don't take them home and
the teacher is responsible for keeping track of them.  The other teacher
doesn't want to check out books at all.  I'm hoping this year she'll see how
great it works for the other teacher!

I do not let the pre-kindergarten students check out books.  I don't feel
guilty about it either.  I do have an assistant, but we do have better
things to do than to track down missing books.  I just started this past
year, without an assistant, getting kindergarten students to check out a
book once a week.  I think I lost 3 out of approximately 80 kids.  Not too
bad.

I struggle with the pre-kindergarten lessons.  I have volunteered this
summer at my local library for bedtime storytime to help me with this.  Most
of the kids who come to that program though are too old to be there.  I
usually have a song and then a story and sometimes a DVD clip or a page to
color.  No scissors at this age.

If you come up with some good pre-kindergarten activities, I would
appreciate them.  I'm not too much on the finger puppets.

I would definitely have the 4 year check out.  We set out books on a table
to choose from as going to the shelves is too daunting.  The pre-school
teachers prepare the parents.  They check out one book each week and
probably lose fewer books than the 5th graders!

I was asked to start 6 preschool classes last year.  They come once a week
for a story.  I decided I didn't want my regular collection to go to
preschoolers.  Instead, I purchased appropriate books at garage sales and
second hand stores.  The books were in the system but I didn't cover them
with contact nor put spine labels on them.  So they have barcodes and the
school stamp, that's it.

For my preK students, I have storytime in their classroom with no checkout,
but if their parents want to come in with them before of after school to
check out, I let them have one book at a time.  That way, parents know
exactly what the children are bringing home and I have few problems with
late books. ***********************************************

Yes!  Let them check out books.  They will love it.  I put 20 or so likely
picks out on a table - the youngest ones tend to pick the first book their
eyes light on.  But they don't have to pick from the table; I direct them to
the picture book section, dinosaur nonfiction, trucks...whatever.  At that
age, the responsibility for returning books falls solely on the parents.  I
let the students pick a book each time, regardless (it's too cruel
otherwise).  Then I just send lots of overdue notes to the parents via the
classroom teachers.  There are always a handful of parents who don't respond
until they see a dollar figure for book replacement, but most are
fine.  Preschoolers
can be your most enthusiastic borrowers, and they need it!

A quick response....I have three preK classes that I teach at my preK-2nd
grade school.  I did let them check out books this last year.....which they
loved.....but it was nothing but a headache for the ones I had to track down
at the end of the year.  I hate to lose a book.  This took time to
continually write the notes, etc.  We used to be able to threaten no report
cards with owed books, but can't do that anymore in our county.  What a big
hassle.....then got an attitude from parents who had to pay and then there
are those who just plain didn't and could care less.

Not doing it this next year.  They may check out but keep in the classroom.

I also have weekly classes for preschool (though I'm not required to) and
was concerned about allowing them to checkout their own books.  In the end,
the preschool teachers and I decided that I would select a set of books for
each classroom and check them out under the teacher.

The students are not allowed to take books home but this way they are
available during center time and for read alouds.  The teacher typically
keeps a set of books for about a month which is nice when considering
re-shelving tasks.

My story time for preschool is shorter than my elementary classes -
somewhere between 25-30 minutes.  I do story time as you described but often
end with some type of literature or language arts type game.  I just make
these up as I make my lesson plans.  They also love it when I'm able to give
them some sort of story souvenir!  That's not so often but I do try
occasionally.

I love my preschoolers! But I have them for only 20 minutes and the teacher
and/or assistant stays with them. We do not check out books, but we do look
at them if we have time. Usually, I pull a dozen or so for each table and
put them in the middle, and those are the books they use. I do read to them
every week (no videos) and we might play a game or do some fingerplays. I,
too, have no assistance in the library so this is the way it has to be. I
really am not required to see the preschool (they don't have music, PE, or
computer lab), so anything I do is appreciated by the teachers and the
children.

I see preK at my school once a week for storytime and checkout.  I guess I
am blessed because either my aid or the PreK aid are there to help with
checkout.  My preschool kids return their books better than any other grade
but it is because the teacher is so good to keep on top of it and contact
parents if the student doesn't bring their book back.  I give her a list
each week of who checked out what book.

Our school started 4-yr-old classes a few years ago, and here are some of my
"tricks of the trade":

* Begin by displaying only board books, or very sturdy picture books. Talk a
LOT about book care. Read a story aloud. Involve the students. No checkout.

* Same thing as 1st visit --- until most of them seem to get it.

* Bring out more books with "regular" paper pages. Practice turning pages
together. Do not allow them to literally tear through an entire book. Show
examples of other torn books --- they tear especially at the gutter on the
bottom.

* When they are finally ready for checkout, start with only one, and for
only one week (or until their next classroom visit). Only allow one out at a
time. Ask teachers to remind children / parents to return books by the day
before they come in. That way, mom can be reminded one last time.

* I purchased some heavy-duty plastic zip-lock bags, roughly 13" X 15", and
put a label on each that read "return to library," and put each library book
inside of the bag. In fact, I do that for my Kindergarten and 1st grade
classes as well. It keeps the books cleaner and more noticeable in a
backpack. I had some problem getting bags back, so I charged $1 per bag
lost. Many of those lost bags showed up. Go figure.

* I also have "Storytime shoes" for my younger students . . . but that's
another post.

* Learn a lot of finger plays, songs, action stories that they will want to
do overand over again (like Going on a bear hunt). Have fun. Smile a lot.
Call them Friends --- they like that, and so do I!

I have done check out with preschool although it was a very small group and

we were still on card check out.  A couple of suggestions if you decide to

do check out with the preschool.

Send a note home explaining to the parents how it will work.

Only one book at a time.  If not returned - no new book.'

Pre-select the books, don't have them browse the shelves.  They can be

related by theme to the book you read.  You can also NOT select any books

you don't was circulating in the preschool for whatever reason. (popularity,

age appropriateness etc)

Can the Preschool teacher be the person to go after overdue books if you

give her/him a list?

Hi. Several years ago ( and for a number of years) we had a Pre-K  in our
high school and we housed the "kits" that belonged to them, as well as some
of the books that we purchased.  The little ones came in each week and we
checked out materials and they returned them ( as a group) the next week.  This
worked out well. We also had folks from inside and outside the school visit
and read to the students. We hosted puppet shows from the local library and
had a great time. Then the Pre-K was moved to a local elementary school and
we were without our little ones. It was fun while we had them. Working with
their teachers to check out and return the equipment made a difference.

Our preschoolers (including special needs preschoolers) actually have the
best record of returned books in the school!  Before they check out for the
first time, the teachers send home a letter to the parents explaining
checkout procedure, day of the week that books must be returned, penalty for
lost or damaged books. Parents must sign this and return before students can
check out books. Parents also have the option of requesting that the student
be allowed to check out a book to keep in the classroom for the week
(instead of bringing it home).  I put a selection of books out on the tables
for them to choose from. Each student has a ziplock bag with his/her name on
it, and once they have checked their book out, it goes into the bag.  This
system worked well last year, and as I said, the preschoolers had the best
on-time-return record.

For our preschoolers, I meet with them once a week starting in late
September or early October.  We give them a little time to adjust to the
school first.  I start out with only 15-20 minutes but expand to 30 minutes
by Christmas break.  I do more of a story time like the public library does,
but they do check out.  I preselect books (with a few extra so even the last
to check out has a choice) and have them spread out on tables.  The students
get to pick one of these.  I check them out to the teacher and they stay in
the classroom until next week.  They do not get to take them home.  This
eliminates having to worry about getting books back.  The teacher uses the
books for read alouds during the week, and for quiet time, they browse on
their own.

Our preschool has a very good record of checking out and returning books.
They have a teacher assistant who comes to the library with them. I follow
the PreSchool curriculum (monthly topics) and it has worked out better than
when I just picked out books to share. This is a group of 4 year olds. I am
not sure about checking out books to three year olds. But in the long run,
responsible parents get the books back better than older kids!

I do allow these children to check out.  We do limit them to 1 book out at
one time, and I preselect the books that they choose from rather than
turning them loose in the E section.  I send home a letter the first day
they check out, and the next week I send home a refrigerator magnet reminder
of which is their library day.  These are just bright red paper with a
drawing of Clifford reading and the words "Early Childhood Class.  My
Library Day is Tuesday."  We laminate these and put a strip of the peel and
stick magnet on the back.  About quarter sheet of paper is big enough.  I
think it is the 3rd or 4th week I send home a handout with book care
suggestions.  All of these have the students library day, my phone and
extension and my school email address.  We only have a very few students who
perpetually have overdue books from either the EC or the 4yrK classes.  The
teacher is very helpful about sending home notes about these books, talking
to parents etc.

I use a browsing cart with boxes instead of shelves for Pre-K-K level
students.  I put all of the books that are headed to the weed pile for these
kids, both E and Dewey books.  By the end of my "Care and NOT Feeding of
Books" lessons with these little ones and they understand the rules, they
come in telling me where someone else has mistreated a book!  I only had two
little ones mistreat books last year.

Several of these grade level teachers do not allow the kids to take the
books home, but when others do, most books come back within a week or so.  I
only had a few books missing at the end of the year.

We do have story time, singing, along with other activities for these
classes.  Same lessons I teach K-2 classes.

Similar to you, I have a 3 year old class as well as a 4 year old class. And
each are very individual! Each class I see once a week for 30 minutes.  We
try to read a book which supports the theme of their weekly studies.  We do
a few moment games, finger play or we will discuss what we know about that
theme ( Apples:  what colour do apples come in/  When you are at the grocery
store what colour are the apples on display?)

We then 'retire' to the tables, where I have laid out a picture book at each
place setting.  The children practice library etiquette by sharing their
books, turning pages carefully, looking at the he pictures and using their
imagination.  the teacher's helper and I move from table to table reading
parts of the stories to the children.  We all line up at the library counter
to sign out the books.  Each book is signed out to the teacher of that
class.  The books stay in the classroom and are consulted during rest time.
If a child wants to take out a book,  they come into the library with Mum or
Dad at pick/drop off time to select their items.  This way, Mum and Dad or
their Nanny is aware of that is being signed out and I have the assurance
that a person of responsible age can return it in a reasonable amount of
time.

then it is potty break time.  This makes up our 30 minutes easily.

for my preschoolers, I put a selection of books on the tables, and let them
pick one.  It is then checked out to the preschool classroom, so the kids
aren't taking them home, but have the experience of checking out, and
bringing back the next week.

check out books for the Pre K students to the teacher, and the books stay in
the classroom.  I do the same with Kindergarten classes.  The students get
to pick one from a table and carry it back to their room.  They can look at
each other's books there.  It has worked well and I have only lost 1 book in
3 years.  I do lots of activities with these students, things like acting
out Mother Goose and songs (Little Miss Muffet).  Our classes are special
needs Pre K. ***********************************************

I have had PK and K do library exchange in all my schools.  What I do is
request that they don't take them home.  They leave them in their classrooms
to share.  They really love it.  To make it easier on me I have eliminated
putting in each student.  I make up a bogus person called "Mr. Roger's
Class".  Then all the kids scan under that.  Makes it quick and easy.  Then
no matter what book they take out, I'm not bugging them to bring it back.  They
can bring back any library book.

Am I making sense?  Not sure if I am explaining it right.  If you are
interested I can go into more detail.  By not going home, I know the books
are in school and not the responsibility of the student.  It's getting them
used to going to the library but no worries about overdues.

I am not very helpful on subjects tried and true since I am about to begin
my first year.  I was intrigued by my new school's past policy.  They
allowed PreK and K to check out one book a week to remain in their
classroom.  The teacher kept a basket for their books and they got to read
each others books throughout the week.  Although the principal was not in
favor of continuing the process, she wants them to take them home, I thought
it might be an option for you. By doing this, they could get accustomed to
the processes of checking in and out and finding a book.  They could also
learn about proper care without the hassles of trying to get the books back
to school.  I am not sure what I will do, but at least I have a full time
aide that has been there for several years.  I bet she will have to teach me
quite a bit!!

My lower school librarian brings a group of books to the preschool
classrooms once a week.  She picks out enough books for each student to have
one.  They are checked out to the teacher and they stay in the room for a
week.  Then she switches them out the following week and the group of books
rotates to the next teacher's room.  The kids read them during free time in
their rooms.

I see preschoolers 30 minutes/week in their classroom.  The teachers and
paras are there if I need help.  They do not check out books--the teacher's
request as she doesn't want to have to help get them back AND that gives
them something to look forward to in K.  I try to coordinate my material
with the letter of the week. I Try to find a Mother Goose or other rhyme,
and/or a fingerplay, sometimes a song, a craft activity (pretty simple, no
cutting and very little glueing at the beginning of the year.  I sometimes
have older students cut stuff out for me.)  I often take a stuffed animal
"friend" with me and she "talks" to the kids.  My trademark is the little
old yellow suitcase that I carry my stuff in to their room.  It's a way to
get there with all my stuff and I only need to get out one thing at a time
and have better luck getting them to focus on me.  Of course, the rest of
the school thinks that I'm running away when I walk down the hall with my
little yellow suitcase.  I usually have more than I can do in 30 minutes but
sometime I have to use it all.  I figure that it's better to over-plan than
to end up short and try to entertain the rest of the time.

Good luck!  they're fun, but sure makes an old lady tired!  --Sandy

I once volunteered in an elementary library that used its oldest, smallest,
unwanted donations, most likely to be weeded books for preschool check-out.
They didn't use ugly or un-clean books; just the ones that would be
no-big-loss if they disappeared.

I get in a similar scary position every year, when I think about checking
out books to kindergarteners the first few weeks of school.  They always go
for the shiny new ones, and I think I'm never going to see them (the books!)
again.  The kids need lessons about book care and checkout procedures before
I take the plunge.   We have to train the parents about library lending too,
and that info. usually goes home in a notice at the beginning of school.

So . . .I let the kids choose from a pre-selected bunch of books, to help
limit their choices and confusion, spread out across a few library
tables.  Then
I ask the teacher to keep them for classroom use only.  Teachers appreciate
that because often they schedule time in their week for kids to "read" their
library books.

Simple, but works!  Hope it lends itself to your situation.  Also, this will
soak up a little time if you have your little kiddos for more than 1/2!

I also see the 3 and 4 y.o. nursery classes at my school. I see them for 20
minutes at a time, and honestly, it doesn't really seem to matter what I
prepare, as they only want to read Curious George!

In our school, only first grade and up checks out book. I agree, that it
might be too difficult to also be tracking down books from the preschoolers,
as well as everyone else--  It sounds like you're already pretty busy.

Your idea for story time is right on target. I always tried to do that, but
always ended up doing Curious George...If you get any suggestions for books
to get fingerplays and other activites from, please let me know.

I have two prek classes per week.  Each child is allowed to check out one
book.  They are all checked out to the teacher and stay in the classroom.  I
don't worry if I don't get something back.  My assumption is that it is
either in the library somewhere, and just didn't get checked in, or else it
is in the classroom. I think the kids need the chance to pick a book
themselves.  the teacher gives the kids time during the week to look at
their books, and they share them with each other.  Even my kindergarteners
don't get to take the books home, but they check out the books in their own
name.  I think it is important to have the kids get used to picking out and
checking out books.

I've worked in a public library for the last for years and I think the idea
of fingerplays/storybooks is a great idea. I'm just starting a new job this
fall for prek thru 9th, 420 students, also the sole staff J and plan to let
the prek check out. The previous librarian did and it seemed to work out.
Maybe a suggestion of the library book kept in book bag going home with the
students might help. If you don't mind I was wondering what your schedule is
like.

I have been working with preschoolers for about five years now and your
storytime plan sounds similar to what I do--it's hard to keep their
attention for much more than that. As far as check out, I talked to the
preschool teachers before we started and determined the best plan for us to
have the kiddoes choose books but leave them at the center so that we don't
have to track them down.

I do checkout to the preschoolers.  I have done it two ways:  Some years, I
have them checkout only one book and leave it at school to look at.  My
preschool teachers put them in a special place, and I print her a list of
the books, so she can help keep track.  Other years, I send a
note/permission form home with the students and wait for those to be
returned before I checkout one book to them.  The permission slip says that
they will pay for any lost or damaged books.  I do this because my PREK
class is a special ed class and the students enrolled my not be my students
later in life.  They come from all over the district.

We have 4 year old preK classes. I have them for 30 min. per week (other
classes are 50 min.) & basically do a story time. I usually also do some
movement songs because even 30 min. is long for them. I do not checkout to
them.

Our prek classes(six sections) visit the library with teacher and aide once
weekly beginning in January to exchange titles.  I have preselected books on
display shelves ready for them each week.  We had very few problems with
books not being returned and teachers said many saw as highlight of the
week.  I cannot offer stories/library class to them because of contract
restrictions but your idea of a public library type storytime sounds like a
great idea.

If you are alone in library, could preschool staff/teacher help with check
out or book selection?  I asked our prek teachers to do a book care prep
lesson before they began borrowing books.

Bless your heart!  I have students from pre-k through fifth including 2
developmentally delayed, one trainable older class, and one severe and
profound group.  I have all of them weekly and for the prek set I do not
allow the students to check out books.  We have a story, a song or two, and
an "art" activity related to the story.  I usually search the internet for a
simple coloring page to modify , or let them draw something that relates to
the story.  I also do not check books out to kindergarteners to take
home.  They
check books out to go to the classroom but our crowd is 94% free and reduced
lunch and they are learning about things like getting in line and following
directions for the first time.  They don't need the added responsibility of
remembering where a book is.  I only lost one kindergarten book this year
which was great.

I also am the only librarian for pre-k through 12.  I let the pre-k check
out one book.  In the beginning of the year I would lay books out on the
table for them to choose.  I found that they could destroy a bookshelf very
quickly.  After Christmas, I start showing them how to use a shelf marker.  I
also encourage parents to come to the library to help their child choose an
appropriate book.  They can do this before or after school. I don't have 3
year olds, only 4 year olds.  I do have to call parents for lost books, and
I don't check out any other books until the late/lost book is returned or
paid for. Good luck!

We had our Headstart children, ages 3-5, come to the Media Center every
other week for a short story and check-out time. We would put a small
selection of very easy books, face up on a table and let them select from
those books. The students checked the books out in their names, but they
were not allowed to take the books home. They would keep them in their
classroom to be read to them by their teacher. This worked very well. The
students were exposed to using the library, but the books were kept on
campus. Hope this helps.

--
Deirdre Jameson
Librarian