Stella Loue Ella’s Runaway Book - Ernst
Wild About Books - Sierra
Library Lion
The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians (maybe you want to save that one for yourself)

Kinders like “I am absolutely too small for school” by Childs
Chrysanthemum - Henkes is a good one for the first of school
Get ready for 2nd grade - Danziger
Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth

Maybelle Goes to Tea - Katie Speck - is a 60 page beginning chapter book that any
second grader would love.  You could have your assistant principal read up to page
23 to inspire the kids to read th rest of the book on their own.  The main
characters are a cockroach, a fly, and a flea.  The book is hilarious.  I have not
read the first book in the series, Maybelle in the Soup, but plan to do so.

Fifer’s Bark, George has been a big hit with anyone reading to kindergarten.
Sharon Creech’s A Fine, Fine School is about a principal who wants to have school
365 days/year but changes his mind.  Dr. Seuss is always good--how about Gerald
MacBoing Boin or I Am Not Going to Get Up Today

I know you'll get lots of ideas from LM_Netters on good titles, but I would go the
route of going through your new books first.  That way you kill two birds with one
stone.  Providing the assistant principal with appropriate titles to read AND
showcasing the new stuff.  As you know, if it hasn't been read before at your site,
the administrator won't get those comments-"I already heard that before!" that are
so prevalent with elementary school kids.
Here is my initial target:  "My new assistant principal has asked me to suggest
some titles for her to use as read-alouds for her as she visits each of our K-5
classes.  Of course, I am drawing a blank.   My first thoughts (as I don't really
know our collection very well yet) were to pull titles having to do with the
beginning of the school year.  We also have the new books that came in at the end
of the year that no one has had a chance to check out--and maybe this would be a
good opportunity to introduce some of those.  Hmmm. "

Here are the replies.  Thanks again to all who responded!!!

__________

As a last resort, go with the title ideas you're given.  It's like a potluck
dish-you know it will be good since someone else who knows what they're talking
about suggested them.

The Principal from the Black Lagoon by Mike  Thaler
Once Upon a Time by Niki Daly
The Smushy Bus by Leslie Helakoski
Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Joffe Numeroff

First Day Jitters by Danneberg  is the first one that comes to mind.

How about the AP's favorite book as a child.  Find out, if you don't have it try to
locate the paperback and then gift it to them...or buy a hardback copy and dedicate
it to the AP on the front page.

Here are some titles I have used and a former principal have used.
A  Fine Fine School
Miss Bindergarten gets ready for kindergarten
The Book that dripped blood (I know tihs sounds gross but it is not scary and my
kids loved it. So did the principal - he had come in to do an evaluation).

--
Ronda Y. Foust, Librarian
Hardin Valley Elementary School