Richie's Picks: WAITING FOR NORMAL by Leslie  Connor, HarperCollins/Katherine
Tegen, February 2008, 290p., ISBN:  978-0-06-0189088-9; Libr. ISBN:
978-0-06-089089-6

"I had two boxes of mac and cheese, almost half a box of  Cheerios, a sleeve
of saltine crackers, a bag of egg noodles and a box of  brownie mix.  In the
can department, I had two tomato soups, one fruit  cocktail, and one cheapy
tuna -- the squishy, cat food kind.  There were  two eggs in the fridge, along
with four carrots, half a quart of milk and almost  half a jar of peanut butter.
 There were three hamburger buns in the  freezer.  It didn't look like much
but I had things figured out.  Each  box of mac and cheese would make two
meals.  Each can of tomato soup was  ten and three quarters ounces of pure
possibility.  I could mix it with the  cooked egg noodles and cat tuna.  I could
pour
it over a toasted hamburger  bun.  Or, I could just  make soup like the label
on the can  said.  But whatever I did, I had to be careful about the
groceries.   Mommers had been gone for six nights in a row."

There is something seriously wrong with the mother of  sixth-grader Addie
Schmeeter.  Addie's mother is way, way up or  way, way down, seriously all here
or seriously all gone.  She either  ignores the grocery situation for weeks on
end or suddenly  begins shopping (and cooking) for an army.  And it can all
change in a  heartbeat.

When she's around, Addie's mother is  chronically obsessed with watching a
television courtroom reality show  or spending all night in an online chat room,
she has no room in  her consciousness for daily care of her offspring.

Recent times have been bad: Addie's mother kicked Addie's  good-hearted
step-dad, Dwight, out of  their old house.  Then she misappropriated the mortgage
money and took off for days at a time, leaving Addie alone to care for her
two little sisters, Brynna and Katie.  As a result,  the subsequent divorce has
ended with the house being  gone, Dwight gaining full custody of Brynna and
Katie, and Addie and her mom have moved into a funky little trailer in  a
seriously run-down section of urban Schenectady, New York.

There is also something wrong with Addie:

"Why was it so hard?  My teacher and I had gone through  my entire writer's
notebook and had highlighted every left-hand margin in  bright pink.  When I
wrote, I was supposed to come back and bump that pink  edge with the first
letter of every new line.  It seemed like kindergarten  stuff.  But if I got my
mind going on the words, I started to miss the  margin.  If I concentrated on the
margin, I forgot what I was  writing."

The same struggle Addie has with her writer's notebook is  also apparent when
she is having to use a placeholder while reading a  book or -- even worse --
trying to read the swirling music notation for the  flute she so loves to play.

Of course, the degree of responsibility Addie's mother  displays for musical
instruments is comparable to that of  her parenting and grocery shopping and
so, on top of everything  else, Addie is burdened with the guilt of playing a
flute that  should have been returned to her previous school.

On the plus side of Addie's ledger is Soula, the  woman who runs the filling
station and minimart across the road from the  trailer, and Soula's friend,
Elliot.  There is ex-step-father Dwight who  had, in fact, tried to gain custody
of Addie during the divorce.  There is  Addie's guinea pig, Piccolo.  And
there is Addie's resolute attitude that  she is waiting for normal and that it
will, eventually, arrive.

But as things keep getting better and better for Addie's  sisters, Addie is
stuck in the trailer with her mother, a mother who is  becoming more and more
unpredictable and irresponsible.  And Soula, on whom  Addie depends for some
sanity, is clearly struggling with significant  physical ailments.

The closest I ever came to Schenectady, New York was  having taken Amtrak
through there on my way to a dairy goat convention  in Syracuse back in the early
Eighties.  Leslie Connor thinks of  this story as a love letter back to the
little city outside of which  she grew up.  I thoroughly enjoyed the sense of
place  portrayed such as including the connections to Union College, the  toxic
waste, and the (real-life) Freeman's Bridge out of the city that one
approaches via the road which the trailer is situated alongside of.

I got thoroughly caught up in WAITING FOR NORMAL.   The nearly-three-hundred
pages went zipping by as quickly as the  trains that send Addie's little
trailer rocking every time they  pass by overhead.  The ten-to-fourteen-year-old
set are going to  seriously love the drama, the danger, the hope, and the
isolation of  Addie's waiting:

"So this is the smell and the feel of Halloween this year, I  told myself.
No sweets.  No trick-or-treating.  No candy bars to  sort and trade.  No fun.
No Dwight, no Brynna, no Katie.  I  looked at the dark trailer.  No Mommers."

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
_BudNotBuddy@aol.com_ (mailto:BudNotBuddy@aol.com)
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)