Do Millennials still use email?  From what I've read, only if they need
to talk to parents or grandparents...
Also, I've just started reading a book on this generation, and
according to what I've read, this generation has made great strides,
both through social responsibility and academics.  One thing that stuck
out when I was reading is that people have to look at the CORE of a
generation, not individuals.  I think we can all find kids out there who
are not socially responsible, not academic, etc...but the generation as
a WHOLE is much more diverse, forward thinking and community oriented.
When we speak of Generation X (many of us parents now) and the Baby
Boomer generation, we don't point to a few, but speak of them as a
group.  We should also attribute this to the current generation now, and
they are a great one!!  I have high expectations for them...

Naomi Bates
Northwest High School Library
Justin, Texas
nbates@nisdtx.org
817-215-0203

>>> edward nizalowski <enizalowski@NVCS.STIER.ORG> 6/2/2008 2:22 PM

According to the Context-Based Research Group (whoever they are),
young
adults are experiencing "news fatigue".  This information was
presented
today at a global media conference in Stockholm.

I read a reference to the article in today's paper.  Here is a passage
that I found in an online article:

The study also found that participants were unable to give full
attention to the news because they were almost always simultaneously
engaged in other activities, such as reading e-mail. That represents a
shift from previous consumption models in which people sat down to
watch
the evening news or read the morning paper.

"Our observations and analysis identified that consumers' news diets
are
out of balance due to the over-consumption of facts and headlines,"
said
Robbie Blinkoff, co-founder and head anthropologist at Baltimore
<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,361344,00.html#> , Md.-based
Context-Based Research Group.

Here is a link to the entire article:

Ed Nizalowski, SMS

Newark Valley High School

Newark Valley, NY

enizalowski@nvcs.stier.org

"The joke is that there are more people learning English in China than
there are learning it in America."  blurb for "Teaching Chinese as
Tomorrow's Language" by Carol Chmelynski from School Board News

Currently reading Refugees by Catherine Stine