Our school has an art show which I'm sure takes place in many of your
schools.  Ours was transferred from the gymnasium to the library for a
variety of reasons.  Since it is done at the end of the year, losing
access to certain library resources isn't that big an imposition.  All
the book cases have display panels in front of them or are covered with
cloth.  The art teachers are always apologetic about "invading my
space", but it gives me an opportunity to really enjoy the art work and
it is also a break from the routine.  My library clerk feels the same
way, fortunately.

            Frequently there have been certain pieces of student work
that have been kept from public view.  Often the concern is too much
nudity, graphic violence or grossness.  Since the art show is open for
the general public in the evening and the elementary and middle school
students are brought up during school day, concern for what is
appropriate is warranted.  I live in an area that has voted Republican
since before the Civil War and there is a large group that has
conservative religious views.  We can't sanitize everything, but, on the
other hand, how much do we want to fan the flames of dissent.

            The controversy this year was over a painting done by a 10th
grade student, Moriah Korba, who portrayed a mother with a sign that
stated "God Hates F****" with her daughter looking from the side holding
a sign that read "Turn or Burn".  She was not making an anti-gay
statement, but wanted to show how adults influence the attitudes and
viewpoints of their children.  Since "fag" is a derogatory term, the
painting was kept up for judging, but the word "fag" was covered over
for the public show in the evening.  Moriah agreed to take the painting
down for today when all the students will be coming through.

            This is certainly a newsworthy story and deals with an
important topic, but I didn't think that it should appear on the front
page of our local newspaper, the Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton,
NY).  It got equal billing with an invasion of tent caterpillars that
feed on the local trees.  (I guess it was a slow news day.)  Here is a
link to the full story:
http://pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080605/NEWS01/8060
50346/1001/NEWS
<http://pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080605/NEWS01/806
050346/1001/NEWS> .  The Press invites the public to make comments on
their blog.

            I was glad to see that this student was willing to address
an important social concern with her art work.  Maybe next year some
socially concerned student will address some other important topic such
as American consumerism, environmental degradation, the war in Iraq, the
military-industrial complex, sprawl, loss of agricultural land, child
labor, animal rights, genetic engineering, racial prejudice, etc.  It's
also worth noting that a portrait done of a young man with a Confederate
flag in the background wasn't viewed as cause for concern.

            Curious to know if such issues have surfaced in your school
districts relating to displays of art.  Also, if Moriah Korba were a
student in your school district, how would the administration handle
this particular case?

Ed Nizalowski, SMS

Newark Valley High School

Newark Valley, NY

enizalowski@nvcs.stier.org

"He spoke about libraries as a place of refuge for many people including
the homeless and mentally ill stating that a 'librarian must be a nurse,
poet and social worker.'  . . . . Libraries can be a shelter, both
physically and emotionally, and that without libraries, communities may
become mindless shopping malls."

From the article by Terri Summey, ALA Cognotes, January 2006 concerning
an address by Andrei Codrescu at the ALA's President's Program

Currently reading Slam by Nick Hornby