Greetings,
As Iowa begins to thaw (at least temporarily) from our worst winter in ages, my
thoughts are turning to our planned family vacation scheduled for July 26-August
2nd. My husband, 14 year old son, and I are flying to NYC to take in 2 Yankees
games before the they tear down the old stadium, and take in some of the customary
sites: Ground Zero, Central Park, Ellis Island, etc, but also want to go to
Cooperstown to take in the National MLB hall of fame. We traveled to NYC in June of
2001 but had a friend who was our tour guide. That is no longer an option and we're
on our own. I am asking for advice on best "reasonable" places to stay (realizing
that reasonable is a relative term) but also one that will give us fairly easy
access to public transportation, particularly the subway, so that we can get to the
various sites. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the Manhattan area--we stayed
on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln tunnel when we were there the last time. I'm
also wondering about getting to Cooperstown from NYC. Is the best way to rent a car
to get there? We are not renting a car for our time in NYC specifically.

Our family is definitely "sportsy" but I would also like to take in an art museum
or two--something my husband and son are NOT into. Any ideas on what they can do
while I do an art museum?? Any where that you would recommend my teenage son to
do/see while we're there?

I appreciate any help you can provide

Lisa Dreesman
Teacher-Librarian