Below are the responses for my query: Looking for films about the Cold War that
have been used by teachers in the classroom. The teacher was not looking for
documentaries.

George Clooney's "Good Night, and Good Luck" is fabulous.  It deals with the hunt
for communists by Senator McCarthy and the impact on broadcast news.There's another
movie about the Cuban Missile Crisis called "Thirteen Days" that's pretty good but
a little long.
The best one that I have seen is "Thirteen Days" starring Kevin Costner.
 (two responses)There's also a foreign film called, "Goodbye, Lenin!" about a man
who must prevent his mother, who just woke up from a coma, from realizing that the
Cold War has ended.  I haven't personally viewed this one, but I've heard great
things.
Our Humanities teachers use Dr. Strangelove and The Crucible to teach about the
Cold War.

I am middle school, however all my teachers (all content areas) LOVE the
Schlessinger produced videos. They are not long (approx 30 min) and cover key
points clearly and with examples. Library Video company offers many titles and
their website even has clips of some videos online for your to view. Hope this
helps.

You may want to suggest this fabulous picture book which is perfect for HS.

The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain (Caldecott Honor Book) by Peter Sis
(Author) Book Description
“I was born at the beginning of it all, on the Red side—the Communist side—of the
Iron Curtain.” Through annotated illustrations, journals, maps, and dreamscapes,
Peter Sís shows what life was like for a child who loved to draw, proudly wore the
red scarf of a Young Pioneer, stood guard at the giant statue of Stalin, and
believed whatever he was told to believe. But adolescence brought questions. Cracks
began to appear in the Iron Curtain, and news from the West slowly filtered into
the country. Sís learned about beat poetry, rock ’n’ roll, blue jeans, and
Coca-Cola. He let his hair grow long, secretly read banned books, and joined a rock
band. Then came the Prague Spring of 1968, and for a teenager who wanted to see the
world and meet the Beatles, this was a magical time. It was short-lived, however,
brought to a sudden and brutal end by the Soviet-led invasion. But this brief
flowering had provided a glimpse of new possibilities—creativity could be
discouraged but not easily killed.  By joining memory and history, Sís takes us on
his extraordinary journey: from infant with paintbrush in hand to young man borne
aloft by the wings of his art.
Thanks for the speedy responses.
Ellen Frank, librarian
Jamaica High School