I received several requests for a hit, so here it is. Most of the

Original post:

I searched the archives on this, but the most recent hit was from 2005
and was about how to scan slides yourself.

One of our teachers would like to take her collection of 35mm slides and
turn them into PowerPoints. Once they're scanned, I can help her with
the PowerPoint aspect. What I need to know is, have any of you sent your
slides off or taken them in somewhere to be digitized? Did you have a
good experience? Bad experience? Anyone to watch out for?

I will post a hit if there is interest. Thanks in advance,

I purchased a slide scanner at Christmas for
about $120. The brand name is veho. It is fairly
simple to use and I successfully scanned many
old slides with great success. The quality is
quite amazing.

Here is a link to the product:

http://www.brookstone.com/search/search.asp?N=0&act=A30&search_type=search&Ntk=product&cmid=hdr_search&cm_re=B_Hdr*Search*N/A&Ntt=slide%20scanner&D=slide%20scanner&search_words=slide%20scanner

If that doesn't work, go to brookstone.com and
put slide scanner in the search box.

A local photography store may be able to do this for you.

I've purchases a few scanners for my school which are capable of
scanning film negatives and slides and saving them as digital images -
my art teachers love them.

I personally used DigMyPics
(http://www.digmypics.com/google.asp?gclid=CJuDm9G98ZECFQaOggodfGNeyA)
or (http://www.digmypics.com/default.asp) and was very happy with the
results, pricing and speed of service. No problems and the pictures were
GREAT. Wanna see my parent’s wedding photos? I did something for their
50th Wedding Anniversary – perfect.

Good luck. I just read a bunch of reviews and took a gamble, but was
rewarded with great service.

Actually some of today's scanners come with come with the ability to
digitize slides. My sister has an HP all-in-one that does a very nice
job. Maybe someone you know has one. Wal-Mart I suspect also does it for
a reasonable price.

Although scanning 35 mm slides into a PPT program sounds like a good
idea, it really isn't.  The only exception is when the slide is a
picture, rather than text, graphs or charts.  The reasoning is that a
35mm slide has a curved surface, there are usually fingerprints on the
emulsion, dust becomes embedded in the emulsion, the plastic or
cardboard mounts become warped with heat from the projector, if the
slide is not absolutely square in the mount it will make text and graphs
look crooked.  It is so much better to recreate a slide in powerpoint
itself.  I always tell my docs (I work in a medical library) to never
throw away their source material when having a powerpoint program made.
I hope this helps you.

My husband found a box of old slides that he was able to scan using our
desk top scanner.  I was so amazed to find pictures I have not seen for
over 30 years.  They were of me when I was just 19 and pregnant with my
first son, and when he was just born in the hospital.  What a treat! and
to think that they came from a scanner!!!  I didn't even remember I had
the box of slides.

If your teacher purchased a scanner that scanned slides (not all of them
do)
she could scan them into her my pictures file and then import them into
power point.  The cannon (i believe) is 8400 has that capability.  My
father
scanned all of our slides into the my picture file.  He di
d not put them

into power point.  We had at least 3000 withIt has a little device that allows you
to put the slides into it and
then it
goes inside the scanner and you can scan about 12 slides at one time.

Sarah Loch
Librarian
Valley Park Alternative School
4510 Bawell Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
225-926-9765 x. 229
SLoch@ebrpss.k12.la.us

Currently reading "Pagan's Crusade" by Catherine Jinks and "Jenna
Starborn" by Sharon Shinn