 I am going through some old emails, as you do, and I came across something I
posted in July 2005
about the effect and value of praising a child ...

"Telling a child that you recognise the contribution they are making to their own
learning is
essential if they are to make that extra effort.  Case in point ... very bright
kindergarten child,
often on the point of tuning out and without a lot of friends because of her
eccentricities, told us
yesterday that the story I had just read, Goodnight Owl by Pat Hutchins, was a
story about revenge.
It was so out of left field, and so spot on that I told her so and not only did she
glow, she stayed
in tune for the rest of the session AND contributed. When the rest of the kinders
came throughout
the day and I shared the same story, I told them what Phoebe had said and so
started the tiniest
shift in attitude towards her.  Tell me that that is not going to have a
long-lasting, cumulative
effect on both Phoebe and her class. I bet you anything Phoebe will come next week
tuned in, not
out."

Just thought you might be interested to know that I went back to my old school a
week or so ago and
Phoebe came rushing straight up to me for a cuddle.  She is now in Year 3 and one
of our most
successful learners and affectionate children, with many friends.  we always had a
special
relationship but to know she still remembered me was a buzz and to know she is now
always tuned in,
not out even more so.

Of course I do not hold myself responsible because she has been blessed with a most
gifted teacher
for two years.  But it could have been different as she was becoming more alienated
each day because
she was so "different" from her peers at the time, and they were too young to know
to value her for
herself.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton