Due mainly to declining enrollment, our district will be merging the Intermediate
(grades 4-5) and Middle (grades 6-8) Schools for next fall. Neither library is big
enough to house both collections, so until the renovation project is complete
(maybe 2012?), I'll be traveling between libraries, working a flexible schedule
with all grades.  It's not too bad, since the total student population will be
under 600, and the two buildings are attached; it will only take about 90 seconds
to run between libraries.  On the other hand, I'd like to minimize the running, so
I'm trying to think of a way to merge the collections now, in a useful, user
friendly way.

I'm thinking of merging all the non-fiction and reference and shelving it in my
current MS library, which has a 22-computer lab, and calling it The Research
Center.  Then I'd take all the fiction and shelve it in the current Intermediate
library, calling it The Reading Room (or something similar).  When I schedule
classes, we would be either in the Reading Room or Research Center, depending on
our objective for that class.  The other room will be staffed by an aide, and still
available for use.  One obvious problem is that I'd be excluding those who choose
non-fiction for pleasure reading in the Reading Room, but I think I can manage that
by keeping a small non-fiction group there.  Can you spot other problems that I'm
not seeing?  Has anyone tried this, with either success or failure?  Any other
advice for running two libraries in the same building?

Thanks so much!

Stephanie Hodkinson, Librarian
Whitney Point Middle School
Whitney Point, NY