I just had to weigh in the the topic "weed of the day".  I believe strongly in
weeding, having tossed almost half of the books in my library, but I do believe
that some historical and religious books have merit in keeping.  I think they speak
to the attitude of the day and can give people a very clear idea of the thoughts of
the times.

I kept a book called "The Fundamental Error of Women's Suffrage" from 1915, for
this very reason.  It is checked out every year when our Modern World History class
debates the topic -- Should women have the right to vote.  The kids are thrilled to
see such an old book with such an outdated perspective.  I also have books that
cover the other side of the topic as well.

I think old books have value because they can act as a time machine transporting us
to a time when people thought differently and had different perspectives.  They
give us a better idea of what people believed at that time.

Just a different perspective...
 Ria Faber, Librarian  Covenant Christian HS, Grand Rapids MI
ria_faber@hotmail.com  Library Website: http://www.covenantchristianhs.org/Library/
"Some books are so familiar that reading them is like being home again." Louisa May
Alcott Date:    Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:52:07 -0600From:    Julie Dahlhauser
<juldahl@GMAIL.COM>Subject: weed of the day Dear Friends, In pulling books on
religions for a sociology class today, I cameacross this poisonous little volume
hidden away on a low shelf: <<Shinto--the unconquered enemy: Japan's doctrine of
racialsuperiority and world conquest>> by Robert O. Ballou. At a glance, Ballou
claims that the Japanese are devil-worshippers who"defiled the Cross" and crucified
Christians. This is going on my"shelf of shame."  Guess the copyright date :-) >> >
importantweeding is. I also have dozens of lovely books on the variousreligions all
less than 15 years old! Julie Dahlhauser, librarianJackson Central-Merry High
SchoolJackson, Tennesseejuldahl@gmail.com
Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailŪ-get your "fix".